HybridZ

240z to 280z flywheel -difference?

My dad just called me and said he picked up an 83 280zx motor and tranny for his 240. it needs a clutch and flywheel. I know the clutch's have to be different, but are the flywheels? manual tranny

i dont know as i've never seen the two flywheels.

if they are not different, anyone know where I could source one? thanks

i think the only difference can be found on the coupe vs. 2+2. i bought a tranny from an 81ZX coupe to go into my busted '78 tranny and the flywheel matched up perfectly. the 2+2 has a larger diameter flywheel.. something like 225 for the coupe and 240 for the 2+2.

Coupe and 2+2 clutches will not interchange because pressure plate dowel holes will not match the flywheels's... two versions of flywheels on all 75-83 motors coupe and 2+2....To use 2+2 heavier clutch requires the complete package ie flywheel , pressure plate and compatiable throw out bearing.................whatever system you use the throw out bearing has to be compatiable with the clutch and pressure plate.... Since I never had or worked on a 240...I do not know if the 280 pressure plate will mate with 240 clutch or vice versa.... ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe another member can clarify this..... but the 280 flywheel and all it's entails should mate to a 240 Z motor......... I hooked up a 620 pick-up tranny to a 280 motor using all the 280 clutch , pressure plate, throw out bearing and slave cylinder and utilized an adjustable threaded rod between the clutch fork and slave cylinder. The threaded rod to adjust the clutch came from a Datsun 510 which makes it easier to adjust the clutch at the clutch fork location where you can see the slack in the clutch fork as you adjust... again the various throw out bearings can be a problem if not compatible to the whole system