HybridZ

OEM electric fans for L6 Turbo?? help please..

I have been searching for about a hour and reading everything I can and STILL can not find an answer.. so any help would be GREATLY apreciated.

What (if any) OEM electric fans will work as pullers, in my L28ET 260z??

Right now I have a crappy 12" fan with no shroud and I know the car overheats in traffic, even before the turbo swap, it used to do that.. I want to make sure theres zero chance of overheating. Budget's very limited, that's why I want to go with OEM fans I can get (comparetively) cheaper.

Any good candidates or aftermarket only?? If aftermarket what are some of the best choices??

thanks guys!!

You are right, I was sooooooo happy when I picked up what looked to be a very NEW Taurus fan, I adjusted but cutting off pieces of the fan and even lowering the depth of the fan as well and no matter what I did I could not get it to fit.

I was close but the fan was also close to the radiator as well lol.

With all the trimming I did it was still one inch to wide.

i got a tarus fan to fit, but i SERIOUSLY hacked the crap out of it. now im running mid 90's mercedes c class fans. they pull 10 amps each and yuo can fit 2 on a rad. they were ment to be pushers but the blades are such that they can still pull pretty well. i am pretty lucky with cooling and i only have 1 of these fans on right now and it keeps my car cool, although it hasnt gotten over 85 yet here.

I swear by these fans and have been running them on my L28ET for about 2years now....bought from Summit Racing and they will support some big powered L28 turbo engines. they are made by Flex-A-Lite and cost me over $200 if I remember correctly.

Best part is they are low profile, come with a thermostat control and a manual overide switch.

20117181.jpg

20117195.jpg

Yasin

I have always run hayden slim-line cooling fans. They can be bought at the local parts store and I get a discount there. When I first bought them I looked up ther cfm it is comparable to most aftermarket fans. I ran just one 12" on the ghetto beast and never had overheating problems. I now have two 12" fans setup as pullers and one 14" fan pushing on the 260z. I have to get rid of the 14" because there is no room for my intercooler infront of the a/c condesor. The fans are $65 new for the 14" and $55 for the 12". You can also buy a thermostat switch for them for $30.

I am using a Mr. Gasket 16" fan super thin. It is awesome and fits perfectly behind a Z radiator. It even has an adjustable temp switch. It cost about $100 with shipping. I think it was from Summit....or Jeg's. I run an A/C condenser, Oil Cooer, Intercooler all stacked up front in of the radiator and I never overheat.

EDIT: I think the thermo switch was extra$.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&Ntt=Mr+gasket+electric+fan&N=0&part=MRG%2D1988&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

ta daa

turbomock.jpg

no longer can only the v8ers use these. i love defying the laws of physics. i guess the only way i made it fit was that i wouldn't allow myself to believe it wouldn't fit (because lots of people talk about it, but mostly only v8ers can use it.)

don't you love my welds (insert shifty-eyed happy face here.)

Guest bastaad525

Going with one of these fans vs. the stock belt driven fan wouldn't have any effect on problems overheating at speed right? My car runs fine on the street or in traffic, but warms up a bit above 60-70mph. A better fan wouldn't help me here right?

Would there be ANY benefit of going with an electric fan over the stock fan? I've heard it frees up power but I honestly wouldn't expect a noticeable different from just that mod, or does the fan really drag the engine down that much??

Only time you need a fan is at low cruising speed (less than 30) and while stopped. After that the wind is hitting all of the radiator and pushing more air than any fan could. If you are overheating at 60-70mph I would check coolant mixture. I run usually 30/70 30%coolant, 70%water If you still have a problem then its most likely a bad thermostat or your radiator is blocked or not big enough to support your engine. The electric fan makes a large difference in being able to rev the engine. Think of underdrive pulleys. Most of the power you feel from underdrive pulleys is just because they are lighter than stock. So when you remove a 10lb fan that also gives it alot of air resistance from the water pump pulley you are effectively giveing it lighter pulleys and less drag on the engine at higher rpms. Also similar to how a lightweight flywheel works. Olie and I just swapped a electric fan over to his 280z and he noticed a huge difference. Good luck

Guest bastaad525

Luckily it doesn't get too bad, actually it seems to have improved itself over time, oddly enough. It used to get pretty bad, on the freeway at 75mph on a warm day temps would climb, getting 3/4 of the way up on the stock temp gauge (210-220 degrees F). I tried a lot of little tricks, adjusting the mixture to be more water vs. coolant, running some Neo Keep Cool, and agressively trying to purge any air bubbles from the system. For over a year now I've never once seen it get above 5/8 on the gauge (about 180-190F). Also I stuck a thermometer in there and found that the stock gauge is a bit off (big surprise) but not as much as many have found... mine only seems about 15 F high. So I seem to be running right where I should be now, but I dread when the REAL heat comes back to SoCal (been uncharacteristically cool this summer so far). I'm running the stock 280zxt radiator, which I think is fine for my modest power level.

But I'm still interested in running an electric fan... I like the sound of the motor revving more freely (I SOOOOO miss my 17lb flywheel), plus it'd be nice to free up some room at the front of the engine.

• 1 year later...