HybridZ

280zx drivetrain upgrades?

PhaTTy

OK.. I have looked over several threads dealing with these issues and need some guidance. What I have is an '83 N/A 280ZX. I am having a turbo engine built that will put me up around 400hp, and am having a second engine built that should be around 550hp (we hope).

I need some help on what I can do with the clutch, transmission, driveshaft,

rearend, axles, etc.. to beef it up to handle the extra horsepower and torque.

My ideas so far to throw out there:

Clutch: ACT 4-puck or 6-puck

Transmission: T-5 or T-56 beefed up by G-Force or 5speeds type kit

Driveshaft: Custom made?

Differential: Open to ideas. Probably R200 or R230.

Axles: custom billet 4340 280ZXT stub axles and billet companion flanges possibly made by Ross C.

Suspension: Front/Rear Coilovers by Ross C. maybe

Open to your thoughts and ideas.. Post away!

Aaron

As a daily driver, the puck type clutches are pretty grabby...no conducive to normal street driving. Other than that, I'd say you should expect some broken parts now and then, especially if you drag race it. As you likely know, setting up a drag car vs a road course car vs an autocross car are three completely different animals. Keep us posted on your progress.

Is there a clutch type that would work well for both street and the occassional drag (I might take it to the strip 4 times a year just to have fun) ? I want something that will work well on the street since it will be driven almost daily, but I do not want to keep replacing parts. Thanks for the input so far.. Keep em coming!

Go for a twin plate clutch, a bit of expense now saves a lot of effing around later, nice to drive in traffic, effective on the track.

R200 clutch type diff (KAAZ?) or ATB (Quaife?) type should be ok, unless you are going to side slip it.

The stock CV half shafts should be OK, unless, see above.

OK.. I have looked over several threads dealing with these issues and need some guidance. What I have is an '83 N/A 280ZX. I am having a turbo engine built that will put me up around 400hp' date=' and am having a second engine built that should be around 550hp (we hope).

I need some help on what I can do with the clutch, transmission, driveshaft,

rearend, axles, etc.. to beef it up to handle the extra horsepower and torque.

My ideas so far to throw out there:

Clutch: ACT 4-puck or 6-puck

Transmission: T-5 or T-56 beefed up by G-Force or 5speeds type kit

Driveshaft: Custom made?

Differential: Open to ideas. Probably R200 or R230.

Axles: custom billet 4340 280ZXT stub axles and billet companion flanges possibly made by Ross C.

Suspension: Front/Rear Coilovers by Ross C. maybe

Open to your thoughts and ideas.. Post away!

Aaron[/quote']

Thats alot of stuff.

I guess really the first question should be whats the budget and what kind of time frame are you on?

Budget for the drivetrain can probably be anywhere under $3000 for everything. Budget is not really an issue actually. As far as the timeframe. It will be a work in progress and I would like to see the 2nd higher horsepower (550hp we hope) in the engine with the drivetrain complete within 6 months or so.

Budget for the drivetrain can probably be anywhere under $3000 for everything. Budget is not really an issue actually.

I must be reading that wrong - you don't really expect to do all that for under $3000, do you? The trans and clutch will most likely chew that up all by themselves, assuming you do all the fab by yourself.

Well.. I forgot to take the tranny into effect. The tranny most likely whether I go with a T-5 , T-56, or TKO2 will probably be about $3000 by itself LOL.. Clutch and flywheel should be around $900 on the high end. So altogether I will probably be looking at closer to $5000-$6000, which considering still isn't that big of a deal for what I will have when I am done. I just need a lot of suggestions and help deciding what to go into this monster.

Thanks so far,

Aaron

One thing you forgot to mention is the driveshaft upgrade. I blew out my ujoints on my driveshaft, with only app. 275 horses to the wheels.

The ujoints in the shaft are extremely small and will snap like a twig pretty easily.