HybridZ

need a little help with wrist pin and connecting rods????

Guest vvillium3

Guest vvillium3

hey all,

well its my first time putting together an engine(f54), and I just got in both the connecting rods and pistons. When I tried putting in the wrist pin through the connecting rod it was a no go. Didn't even want to start sliding though. Is it suppose to me a tight fit like this so the pin doen't wonder out of place??? Also what is the best way to put these together??? Press??? Well if anyone can help, it is much appreciated... Thanks

I'd take them to a compotent machine shop and have them pressed in. I am not sure if they heat the pistons or not but that IS AN INTERFERENCE FIT. Don't do it yourself, should only cost a couple bucks each to have it done.

Don't fret, most guy's that build engines have the shop do this for them.

Good luck! Oh..And WELCOME to the board!!!

Guest Want aZ

Take it to a shop, what they will do is heat the end of the connecting rod then as it is hot, slide the wrist pin in place, though they have to be quick. in about 10 seconds it will contract tightly around the wrist pin...really easy, but slightly specialized...

Damon

I have never heard of heating a rod to pressin a wrist pin. You dont want to heat a part like that for any reason, if you change the coldwell of the metal, it will have disasterious effects on the engine. Kaboom!

Not always true, when you heat the rod it is only for around a 1 minute to 1 minute and 15 secs at 1500 to 2000 degrees farenheit (for a standard chevy 350 SBC). This is not long enough to change any of the metal characteristics of the metal or weakening it any (the only feasable way for this to happen is overheating or already having a weak rod or unusable rod). Its not glowing red, its only to allow for the appx.: .0001" clearance to be expanded enough for the pin to be pressed in by hand. To be able to press it in cold with a hyperuetetic piston, or standard cast piston would require several tons worth of pressure to do so, then you would risk damaging the piston.

Don't know about rockwell harness of the rod though could be different.