HybridZ

454 in a Z?

Okay, before anyone says it, yes I did a search. And I didn't find what I wanted to know. So, I figured I'd ask. What I want to know is, is it possible to put a 454 into a Z? If so, how much work is it? I was looking at engines, and came across this from jegs. Is this a good deal? They say it makes 425hp and 500ft/lb, is this at the motor, or the wheels? I'm guessing it's probably at the motor, so does anyone know the percent loss to the wheels? Also, what transmission would be needed to go with this? I would like to keep it a manual, and preferably a 4-speed. But, the only 4-speed manual jegs has is a Richmond T-10. Would this combo work?

I apologize for so many questions, but I don't have much experiance with V8s.

Guest bastaad525

I saw a guy with a 454 in a 280z once at the park where I fly my radio controlled plane and heli. The thing was big and looked mean but still fit quite nicely in the Z's wide open engine bay. Really a Z's engine bay can swallow just about any automotive/passenger car engine you can think of.

This guy claimed 600hp and had a chain attaching the engine to the firewall :D pretty crazy though the rest of the car was pretty plain looking. I'm surprised if that guy isn't a member here but I asked about him before and no one knew about him.

it was a brown 280z, very stock looking exterior, oh and was running an auto trans... that's about all I remember.

Yesterday at Lonestar where they were dynoing cars there was a 280ZX with a 454 on the bottle that was parked out back. No it never did dyno but one of the employees said it is crazy fast.

Mike

FastZ, yes. I guess Ill keep the T56 on second thought just for the wow factor but a Rat in my opinion should outrun the mouse with similiar weight. The 396 in it is mostly stock as far as HP gaining components go. I think a 454 with some good Aluminum heads and decent cam i.e. Comp XE268H or so would be nice. The block and mounting would be identical so why not add a few cubes! Im also upgrading the black sled too so the BBC may have to wait awhile when I get back! Thanks for the comments!!

Terry

I have a 454 in my 78 280Z. It was A LOT of work, but my “swap†erred on the side of excess, in terms of structural rigidity and weight distribution.

BBCs have a declining aftermarket support, especially for the middle of the road that’s neither all-out racing engines nor stocker muscle car restorations. In contrast, the aftermarket offers good options for 400+ cubic-inch SBC builds.

The principal reason to build a big-block Datsun is that you’re personally familiar with the BBC engine, and prefer to work on it rather than the SBC. Then do the BBC swap – you’ll enjoy the car more. If you are starting with a clean slate, and especially if you’re inexperienced with Chevy engines, I can not recommend the big block.

For an all-out drag car the BBC is an interesting option is you’re interested in 600+ cubic inches and 4-digit horsepower with nitrous. But I don’t think that there are any such cars on this board. The most powerful belonged to a member named Ron Jones. He had, if I recall correctly, a 502 making about 800 hp, good for 8.6 in the 1/4-mile.

There are (or were) about 4-6 BBC Z’s on HybridZ. One belongs to Brad Barkley (Ratsun), one is the “blown blue Z†which is since been re-converted to SBC, one belongs to Corzette, one was a work-in-progress posted by a recently-joined member who decided to build a BBF instead. To my knowledge, all of the successful drag BBC Z’s are back-halved. Mine has the firewall set 6.25†aft and what some people might consider a tube frame, but the suspension is essentially stock. All of the BBC cars have some form of automatic transmission, typically a Powerglide or TH400. Mine is the sole exception (as far as I know) – a Doug Nash 5-speed.

Bottom line – if you’re particularly enamored of BBC’s do the BBC swap; otherwise don’t. If you don’t have an engine yet, go SBC instead.

Mike, mine is a Tremtec 6 Speed Manual and no structural altering at all. I just like the idea of having something not many do and to preserve history of coarse. My engine sits on a cradle and then a direct bolt in, no cutting etc anywhere. 2832 lbs and drives like a caddy...well almost. Im just wanting to increase the WOW factor later but not 800HP!!! Maybe 500 or so...Id like all my cars to be at least 12 sec daily drivers withthe exception of the CorZette, that will be a 9 sec car in the future...Anyways keep the Bigblock they are a special build to own....

Terry

• 2 weeks later...