HybridZ

Lucas oil stabilizer, anyone here use this?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Just curious... this is another one of those oil additives that I've seen being sold in auto parts stores forever. It stands out in my mind because of the advertising display they setup always grabbed my attention... I'm sure most of you are familiar with it. It's a little plastic thing with two seperate sets of gears that you can turn by hand with a little handle. Each set of gears is immersed in engine oil, one supposedly just regular oil, the other supposedly with a small amount of the Lucas added. You turn the gears and you can see the Lucas oil is much thicker and seems to coat the gears much better.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone uses this or what the general consensus on it is. I'm gonna guess it's just rated right up there with good ol' slick 50.

I run Mobil 1 exclusively and really don't even think of using additives like this anymore but this one sticks out in my mind as I said, because of the cool display, and also now that I think of it, I seem to remember it has been around for a LONG time, a lot longer than i can remember hearing of Slick 50 or any of those.

The gear oil I use, SWEPCO, does something similar. If you put your finger in it and pull it out it will create a spider web like strand off of your finger for 4 or 5 feet before it actually breaks off. I think this is a good thing for gear oil where front pinion bearings have a hard time getting and staying lubricated for instance, but in the engine that seems like a big hp drag. Just imagine how much more oil will be hanging onto the crank as it goes around. It might help an engine that has a bad oiling system design, but if the oiling system is sound then I think it would just create a big heavy crankshaft to spin around unless you have a crank scraper. I have never used Lucas stuff, but that's been my untested impression of the display anyway.

The gear oil I use, SWEPCO, does something similar. If you put your finger in it and pull it out it will create a spider web like strand off of your finger for 4 or 5 feet before it actually breaks off.

Jon,

Is that oil available at the normal chain parts stores? I need to replace the oil in my truck's rear end, and I want the best I can get because part for these rear ends are not available anymore (R & Ps, bearings, etc) so I want to keep them going as long as possible....

No, I've never seen it at a parts store ever. It's actually a farming/heavy industry oil. The Porsche guys found out about it in the 70's during the CanAm years, and they've been using it ever since. Used to be you could buy direct from SWEPCO, but I haven't been able to find them online the last couple times I tried.

After a quick search found it for $37/gal, that's about the best price I've seen.

http://www.pikeoilco.com/specialty.htm

I've used the oil stabilizer extensively and I can say with absolute certainty, that if you drive at high rpm often, and do not have a crank scrapper and a windage tray, this stuff will COST you hp. In heavy duty racing applications you use about a 50/50 mix of that stuff and high grade oil and if you look at the crank without a scrapper that stuff will literally absolutely cocoon it. You need the scrapper and tray to take advantage of this stuff, otherwise it just causes too much windage. It's great in gear oil and dif oil though :)