HybridZ

Love Working On My L28ET!!!

slownrusty

Guys - Thought I would just mention that I love my L28! My water pump was starting to leak (it was the original factory one...never replaced) and so yesterday was the day I spent giving my ZXT the attention that it needs.

Brand new water pump with gasket from Advance Auto Parts (lifetime warranty) - $20!!!

New 180F Stant thermostat and gasket - $8

Coolant - $8

So for about $40 I completely changed the above parts plus did a coolant flush. Time spent about 2 VERY leisurely hours. Talk about straight forward and fuss free too, after working on my Porsche 911, what a breath of fresh air!!

While I was at it I did this...why not...LOL:

Went from this:

100390483.jpg

to this:

100390475.jpg

100390456.jpg

and the thermostat housing:

77032458.jpg

77032464.jpg

Even purging the air out of the cooling system was no problem afterwards.

Then took the car for a blast! And what a blast it was too even at a modest 10psi....love my ZXT, I fall in love with car again every time I drive it.

Yasin

Guest bastaad525

nice...

can't agree more, older Z's (S30's and S130's) are very easy to work on for the most part. Most common replacement parts like brakes, brake or clutch cylinders, alternators, starters, belts, water pumps, etc. are usually very easy jobs on an old Z taking 1-2 hours. This was a HUGE part of the appeal of Z's to me and a big part of why I don't ever buy a relatively new car.

by the way VERY nice job cleaning up those parts... why didn't I do that when I did MY water pump?? heh... would just make the rest of my engine bay look that much worse I guess :)

Haha if only my waterpump replacement was soo smooth. When I got my new zxt motor in my z (bout the 3rd time in) put some water in and it was leakin, so we replaced the gasket only to find the waterpump was cracked. So out to get a new gasket and we put it on. I was sick of my l28 then. And I still havn't been able to give it a good run.

just watch your fingers
Good advice, cause my girlfriend would be upset if I lost those.:twisted: I might just have to give that a try. Did you put the clay on the grinder and then rub it on water pulley or vice versa clay on pulley and then rub the pulley. Thanks