HybridZ

Update on issue with Tokico springs (long).

what sean said, it is amplified by the progressivity of the front springs i believe but imagining that you threw in a chevy v8, which is much heavier then the datsun block (assuming not too much alluminum was used) and thent he addition of a tranny meant to cope with the torque (more weight, in beefed up gears) you probably would have lowered the car an inch or two... just sell them, there isnt anything wrong with them.

what sean said, it is amplified by the progressivity of the front springs i believe but imagining that you threw in a chevy v8, which is much heavier then the datsun block (assuming not too much alluminum was used) and thent he addition of a tranny meant to cope with the torque (more weight, in beefed up gears) you probably would have lowered the car an inch or two... just sell them, there isnt anything wrong with them.

Dude,

The Chevy LT1 along with it's tranny only adds 100 lbs to the the entire weight of the car and some of that ends up on the rear wheels because it's set back in the engine bay much further than the L6. The tranny I used is not any heavier than the stock Datsun tranny, at least not enough to matter.

I do agree though that the progressive nature of the front springs is probably the contributing factor in the extra drop at the front vs the rear, this is part of why I didn't want progressive springs. Before I swapped out the stock springs the car sat level so I doubt the extra weight of the LT1 really makes much difference in the stance of the car when the spring types are not a factor.

Wheelman

• 2 weeks later...

Bart,

Thanks for pointing that one out, I had seen it a few days ago but forgot to check up on how it ended. Looks like I can get more for these springs than I paid and then get the AZ Z-car springs. I figured the springs comprised about $120.00 of the package I bought so I'll be happy to get that much back.

I've been driving it with these springs and the big sway bars from MSA and actually kind of like it, rides and drives just like a go-kart and I can swing the tail out whenever I want with extra throttle. I will be replacing the springs though, it's just to low, I can hardly get my floor jacks under it and speed bumps are a definite no-no. I think it will be a little tail happy no matter what springs I use due to the large rear bar I've got on there.

I'd still like to know how you figured out the fronts were progressive without installing them. The picture in that auction gives no indication and thats exactly how mine looked when they came out of the box.

Wheelman

I'd still like to know how you figured out the fronts were progressive without installing them. The picture in that auction gives no indication and thats exactly how mine looked when they came out of the box.

Wheelman

I don't remember exactly, but I seem to recall the end couple of coils looking closer together than the coils in the center. Looking at the picture at the auction it's difficult to tell. It could be that I just I read about it being progressive (after I won the auction, but before I installed them) and then just called Tokico to confirm.

• 2 years later...
Guest zwiked1

I am a long time Z car fan and a few months ago I bought a 71 240Z and started to rebuilding it and like you I bought a full kit but not from Ebay, I got mine from Motorsport Auto!! I must say that Tokico made some of the best products I have every seen for Z cars, " A long time ago". But the kit I bought from them was crap! My car rides like a low rider!! The first four coils of the front suspention are riding on each other. I took it back to my mech and we together researched the part numbers and found out that thats what there selling that kit as!!! Jay and employee of motorsport auto just called me in reguards to my conplaints and say that those are the springs for my cars and it should settle a little more in the front, But I realy don't think so!!!! I told him I would give it a week to let the coils settle a little more! If they didn't I would be bring them back!! Check out my pics of my front coils!!! Try not to die from laffing so hard!

Bill Pics 018_thumb.jpg

Bill Pics 020_thumb.jpg

I am a long time Z car fan and a few months ago I bought a 71 240Z and started to rebuilding it and like you I bought a full kit but not from Ebay, I got mine from Motorsport Auto!! I must say that Tokico made some of the best products I have every seen for Z cars, " A long time ago". But the kit I bought from them was crap! My car rides like a low rider!! The first four coils of the front suspention are riding on each other. I took it back to my mech and we together researched the part numbers and found out that thats what there selling that kit as!!! Jay and employee of motorsport auto just called me in reguards to my conplaints and say that those are the springs for my cars and it should settle a little more in the front, But I realy don't think so!!!! I told him I would give it a week to let the coils settle a little more! If they didn't I would be bring them back!! Check out my pics of my front coils!!! Try not to die from laffing so hard!

Did you actually read the rest of this thread?

• 2 months later...
Guest BoiseZConversion

wish i had read this thread, JDMWERKS13 is still at it. got a set of struts/springs, the struts seem fine but the springs can not be compressed so they are loose without car weight to hold them in place. i expect this will be a problem since the springs, both front and rear, can spin around freely under no load. think bumps and what happens if the spring end gets misalligned in its perch. wont be using the springs, live and learn.

wish i had read this thread, JDMWERKS13 is still at it. got a set of struts/springs, the struts seem fine but the springs can not be compressed so they are loose without car weight to hold them in place. i expect this will be a problem since the springs, both front and rear, can spin around freely under no load. think bumps and what happens if the spring end gets misalligned in its perch. wont be using the springs, live and learn.

That's normal for lowering springs and coil overs. Don't drive like Bo Duke and you'll be fine.

You could also use zip ties to hold them in place, thats what I did until I switched to coilovers. It worked fine for the 1000 miles or so I put on the springs.

If that makes you feel better fine, but John is right, a person is not going to have problems with the short springs unless they're getting some MAJOR hang time, and if you are jumping your Z that high, the springs coming off the perches wouldn't be much of a problem compared to the damage that was done when the car landed...

In short, it's a non-issue.

Guest BoiseZConversion

thx guys for the feedback. jury still out on whether to use them or not. my only concern is replacing them, if need be, after i have re-assembled the rears, spindle pins were a bear but should be easier the second time. on the bright side, i dont need a spring compressor to put the springs in. thx all!

If that makes you feel better fine, but John is right, a person is not going to have problems with the short springs unless they're getting some MAJOR hang time, and if you are jumping your Z that high, the springs coming off the perches wouldn't be much of a problem compared to the damage that was done when the car landed...

In short, it's a non-issue.

You're right Jon, the only reason I did it was so I didn't need to make sure they were aligned after jacking up the car.

Wheelman