HybridZ

Re-Drill 260z Hubs to 5-Lug?

Yeah heard that aswell, but that is about as much information as i can find on it - VT Commodore hubs apparently fit, but everyone ive asked says they dont know what if any mods were done or if the offset changed - no one seems to know to much about it, except someone did it :-)

Guest JAMIE T

NOPE.

Feel free to try and prove me wrong. I THOUGHT I was wrong ONCE, later on I found out I was right.

Really, the hubs are a casting and don't weld well at all. Seems like alot of work for little return.

No im sure you right, you sound like you have been there and done that and had the misfortune of loosing a wheel :-) or atleast know some poor bugger who has............

I can get custom front hubs made out of billet steel for about $600AUD, so i think that is probably a better bet,

So what about the rears? ive seen people who have done it, but is there any recommend practices?

The bloke who quoted me $600AUD for the front hubs said he can also do the rears,

Which required "to do properly" to weld up the existing holes and then re-drill for the correct PCD,

Don't the 300zx front hubs just slide on to the 260 spindle?!? (requiring bearing swaping iirc) From what I've come across, this is true, but if I'm wrong I hope someone will correct me.. but if so, why bother with custom $600 hubs, or re-drilling stock 4 lug hubs? Am I missing something here? Maybe.. I'm a few beers into the evning... :redface:

Before spending big money, why not take a Z hub to a wreckers and check it against a Holden hub? Alternatively, what about those five stud hubs used for trailers? They would be Holden or Ford I'd guess.

Thats a bloody good idea mate, i will do that and let you know what i find out, im sure i should be able to pick up a couple of VT hubs under $50AUD,

Then i can take some detailed measurements and see what is required to get them to fit,

Atleast get out all my alternatives before forking out the money for $600 Hubs,

Thanks for the link AK-Z, but im a tad worried about using alloy hubs,

My local engineer frowned upon it and said i would have to have fairly decent documentation about where they came from, who made them and what alloy they were made out of, im sure these hubs are of excellent quality, but it might be difficult to obtain the required specs for my engineer, and even if i did the engineer still said that he still didnt like the idea of alloy hubs for street use, they arent cheap by the time they land in Australia,

It would really, really suck if i couldnt get the car over registration because of it,

I cant really afford to just put them to the side and them get other Steel ones made up if thats the case,

Also i can get them made locally for about the same price as it would cost me to have them shipped over from Canada,

Also from what ive heard, doing the rears "properly" requires a little bit more than just re-drilled the rear hubs, ive spoken to a few engineers and car folk and most of them agreeded that i would be better off if i did something like welding up the existing holes and then re-drilling,

Im not 100% certain if that was the process though,

But the total cost i was given was around the $400AUD mark for the rears to be done "properly", which is roughly $300US - alot more expensive than the $120US quoted on MM's website (but they ask you to supply your own cores),

Dont get me wrong, i dont have any first hand experience as to whether you need to do anything other than just re-drill the rear hubs, as far as strength goes, but that is just what others have told me,