HybridZ

Stupid 'kids' whose parents buy them nice cars..

datsunlover

Man I'm bothered by this.. The other day I see this first gen RX7 tear off from a stop sign, close by my house, as I'm backing out... I'm thinking.. wow, thats really cool! Widebody kit resembles a Porsche 944 (done well), nice fat rims/tires, and a growl that is unmistakably V8 chevy. :twisted: Yesterday, he goes past me (going the oposite way on the highway) in a red blur, and again I smile.. I notice there is a 10 day permit on the windscreen, so I KNOW he's just got the thing on the road. (for those of you who ar saying WTF? Here in Ontario you can get a '10 day trip permit' when you purchase a used vehicle, in order to drive it home/to garages to get it fixed up for the emisions and safety check, before getting plates) I think back to MY rx7 V8 that I built, and how much fun it was, yada yada.. I tried to chase him down in the Z, but I got stuck in traffic. Oh well.. some other day maybe..

Anyhoo, I see this guy in a mall parking lot today, so I roll over (in my beater pick up truck) to talk to him. Looks to be about 19 or so, and it is obvious he thinks he's pretty cool. His window is half way down (dark tint) and the little bugger doesn't even roll it down more.. (Um.. a bit rude?) So I ask

"350? Nice man.."

Kid says "Yah, 5 speed. Just got it."

I say "Oh, you didn't build it?"

Kid; "No, just picked it up. You can buy it for ten if you want.." (yup, 10 grand and I could buy this car he obviously doesn't understand, and can't drive very well.)

I told him I'll stick with my Datsun for now, as I'm getting close to 10 g's invested in it, but WAY mroe if I counted the hours I've loged on it. :lol: He just drove off. I felt like yelling at him "Hey, tell your parents they bought you a nice car!!" Just bugs me.. he might as well be driving a civic or something..

Guest Battle Pope

Building a car is always more satisfying than buying it.

That's why whenever I see a nice car with a younger person driving it, I always ask if they built it first. That way I can decide in advance if I feel like wasting my time.

Ok, i can see how you could be offended by a kid having a fast car, and not really knowing how to drive it, but dont assume his folks bought it.

46233128_148850300_0.jpg

I am 19 also, and have 3 cars, all of which i paid for in full, by myself, and are paid off. If he wants 10, then he prolly didnt pay 10, and is lookin to just make a quick buck.

For my '69 i paid $5,300. for the '79 malibu i paid $1,800. and for the z (i just bought it a month ago) i pait $2.700 for it.

I have droped about 3k into to the truck, and about 5k into the malibu (pertty quick car)

I had the truck, and the 'bu when i was 17, if he saved ever penny he ever had, and poured them into a car, or a savings account for a car, he could have easly bought that himself.

I get pretty heated when someone just pops off and thinks my dad bought me my stuff, i busted my *** for the stuff i have, the only thing he ever bought was the chrome oil pan for the truck, and he donated a 350 block (that was going to the scrap yard) for the 'bu.

My mom bought me a RPM air-gap for the 'bu.

other than that i have paid for 100% of them.

(warning:::You will not care about any of the following) My parents have told me since I was able to understand language that they were not going to purchase me a car.

So I worked for years, saved up and bought my Z for 750$. I am buying a donor car for it tomorrow, all completely without the assistance of my parents.

My father has voluntarily helped me with body work, gave me advice on what I should/shouldn't do.

My mom has told me that she'll split the exhaust and interior costs.

(my mom's a softie)

But other than that, I think it's a far cry from some of the kids around here that drive up with 20-30 thousand dollar cars during their junior/senior years.

It's invigorating, especially to those of us who actually had to work long and hard for what we have.

/rant

HarrisonTX; I'm impressed that you have what you have on your own, without help from mommy and daddy. Nice stable you got there! The thing is, I'm sure you KNOW your vehicles because.. well, YOU built them correct? That's the diffrence.. Personaly, I would not buy a car (hybrid, project, hotrod, ect) 'ready to go'. Hell.. I couldn't leavw my daily driver pickup alone; First week I had it I cranked up the torsion bars, put 31"s on it, fender flairs, and a custom stereo. :D

Like Pope said, building them is the real joy of having vehicles such as this. It's been my expirience that 90% of people who buy turnkey vehicles buy them 'done' because they can't, or dont want, to WORK on them. They can't understand the effort that has to go into projects like that, or better yet, don't apreciate it. Someone rolls up to me in my Z, I can talk to them for as long as they want about it. What I've done, changed, discovered, ect. People like this kid in the V8 RX7 have no clue what makes their car 'tick' and if something major goes wrong, they are lost. (Ex; blown motor, custom fab'd pieces breaking/wearing, wiring issues, ect) Really, I hope he DOESN'T crash it, cause it's a really nice car overall.. maybe he'll mess it up just enough to get fed up with it and I can pick it up for $1000 in a few months.. :lol:

Datsunlover:

awesome man, i totally see your point.

I just had a discussion tonight about stupid kids, and their definition of fast.

this, kinda has to do with what your talkin about.

Fast is a relative term. To a high school girl, her caviler maybe fast, to a normal high school boy, his civic with exhaust maybe "fast" to a granny, her caddy maybe fast. They dont know fast. My malibu is decent, its quick, it will easly beat new z/28's and GT mustangs, but i know, even that isnt "fast"

I have never been "fast" and ive riddin in 7 sec (1/8mile) cars. those arnt fast.

everyone has their own definition of fast

Tim, the truck is a '69 3/4 ton. Check in my photo's on here to see pics.

Its got 108k original miles, and workin a/c.

It is for sale for $9,000. I am going to pour all the money into the z, and the 302 chevy i am building for it.

well, i bought the truck, and rebuilt the motor, thats it, the z i just bought (for a hybrid or corse, but i havnt touched it) now the 'bu on the other hand, i bought it with a mild 350, automatic, i ripped the motor and tranny out, and I BUILT a forged crank, forged scat rods, forged .100 dome probe piston, motor.

Its got a holler 650 double pumper with double hump heads. The tranny is a super t-10 i had built with a 3.42 first gear, i have to shift at about 10mph, but i get there very quick. (i swapped trannies 4 times in 4 days) I also changed the rear end from a 7.5 to a 8.5 (from a Grand National) with a 3.42 posi.

I get so pissed off when I see crap like that... I've been known to rant quite a bit on a few other boards, but I guess you guys don't know me well enough yet, hahaha (probably since this site is populated by mostly older guys, and the younger guys that stick around have good heads on their shoulders). Anyway, my parents bought me an Audi in high school, for $2,800, so I could go to work and sports practices/games, and drive to school (half scholarship at private high school), etc. It's still running, surprisingly enough (we've had it since 1998 and it has gone from ~140k when we bought it to... about 230k+, dunno for sure, odometer stopped working two years ago, hahaha. it's fairly ragged out by now). I run into this dumba$$ type of person ALL THE TIME, since I'm 22 and drive (well, the times when I have it assembled :twak: ) SR-swapped 240SX. When I got the car (my own $$$) two and a half years ago I considered myself a "Bandwagon -jumper", but from the "good side" (RWD Euro stuff, not riced-out FWD econoboxes). It's night-and-day compared to the type of people I'm seeing now. 19-20 year olds with NO CLUE about ANYTHING mechanical, yet dropping 5-10 grand on SR swaps and KA-turbo 240SXes, most of them from the Honda crowd so the usual tackiness of cosmetic mods and complete lack of detail work (wiring harness stuff, hoses, setup, etc).

What's worse is that the school I went to had some very well-to-do familys, but even though some of them got expensive cars (one girl got an X5 for her graduation present in 2000), they were good people. Not so much when I was in Raleigh at NCSU and saw the kind of stuff kids were driving around in Cary. I'm talking kids still in high-school driving CLK convertibles that were dealer-new or 1-yr old. Down in Charlotte some kid's parents gave him $6k to buy mods for the Evo8 they bought him for his 16th birthday. I mean WTF people. The kid has a stinkin-fast car, but has ZERO appreciation for what it was to begin with, what it is now, and has absolutely nothing that could be confused with driving ability, especially considering the capabilities of that car :x

rant mode off :D