HybridZ

Hard rock lovers... in here!

JMortensen

Gotta tell you all about a show I saw last night. I only heard about this show a week ago, and I got tickets for $15, but this was the most kick *** show I've ever seen. A band called the Cardboard Vampyres played a show at the Fenix Underground in Seattle, a small club that probably holds 700 people max. I'd certainly never heard of the Vampyres, but I know some of it's members:

Jerry Cantrell - Alice in Chains guitarist

Billy Duffy - The Cult guitarist

Chris Wyse - The Cult bassist

Bevan Davies - Danzig drummer

Eric Dover - I think this guy was the fill in vocalist for Motley Crue for a while

Anyway these guys put on a KICK *** show, and they played music that I love all the way through. The funny thing is that these guys are a "cover band" believe it or not. They do mostly AIC and Cult songs, with a bit of Black Sabbath, Metallica, AC/DC, and Motorhead and some others thrown in.

Due I'm sure to the complete lack of name recognition my wife and I were able to stand right up at the stage directly in front of Billy Duffy, although we did get there a little early to ensure a nice close spot. One of the roadies gave me a setlist, here it is:

Hole in the Sky - Black Sabbath

Seek and Destroy - Metallica

Draw the Line - Aerosmith

Given the Dog a Bone - AC/DC

Would - AIC

Wildflower - The Cult

I Wanna Be Your Dog - The Stooges

Helter Skelter - The Beatles

Night Prowler - AC/DC

Ace of Spades - Motorhead

It Aint Like That - AIC

Sun King - The Cult

Love Removal Machine - The Cult

Man in the Box - AIC

Tell me that setlist doesn't friggin rock!!! They played LOUD, and they played TIGHT. It was an awesome show. When Jerry sings Would in Seattle, it's guaranteed to get the hair on the back of your neck to stand up. Unreal. I've seen some pretty good shows, and previous to this show my favorite was a few months ago I saw Queens of the Stone Age (big fan) in a small venue in LA that holds ~2000 people. This show blew the doors off of that show. I think my favorite song of the night was It Aint Like That. One of my most rebellious memories was walking around high school with my Bleed the Freak t-shirt in 1991, and It Aint Like That was one of the best songs on the Facelift album IMO. I got the t-shirt when I saw AIC in concert on Sept 11, 1991 opening for Van Halen. The first time I saw that song in concert was OK, last night was unbelievable. You know that feeling you get when you turn around and everyone is bouncing and screaming the words at the top of their lungs in unison? Yeah, had that feeling a bit... :) I guess I wasn't going to get that in '91.

I expected a GOOD show. They were AMAZING. If you share my musical taste, and you live in Bellingham, Yakima, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, or Chicago, GO SEE THIS SHOW!!!

Sounds cool. Alaways been a huge fan of the cult going back to southern death cult days. Shame Duffy's having to do covers. Buy the sound of some of Cantrells post AIC's stuff maybe he should stick to covers. We dont get much musical exicitement here in rural New Zealand. Its the only thing I really miss about living in the city. Spend half my nights looking for new sounds on the net, spend a lot of money getting them here and then finding you dont really like it.

Douglas

the bands you listed in the first post are some of my favorite bands of all time: Danzig just blows your head off the very first time you hear it! An amazing band unlike anything else I ever heard in my life. I love AIC for the same reason I love to listen to Danzig: both bands have their unique sense of coolness, show their control and temper in their music, and have the slow, tremendous power build-ups. You can feel this power building up and literally surging out in many of their songs.. Some of my favorite AIC tracks are "Man in the Box", "Bleed the Freak", "Would", and of course "Down in a Hole" Classic stuff. For Danzig, my fav. song is "How Gods Kill" but there are so many others.. having said that I HATE The Misfits- I think the lead guitarist of Danzig formed that when group split - not sure. In high school EVERYBODY and their mamas listed to the misfits.. uggh!

I never heard of "Cult" I will have to listen to them now.

any of you into TON (type O neg.) ? Another excellent band, but you gotta be in the mood for it (hard to explain but most of you know what Im tlaking bout) In short: Dont listen to if you are depressed :) even tho thats the only time I do! LOL

other fav. bands (not nec. hard rock): Nirvana, Mazzy Star, Doro (awesome female singer with heavy @$$ guitar back-up), Skid Row, Marilyn Manson, Pink Floyd.

Let's keep this thread alive it's been sooo damn long since I heard ANYTHING worth listening to!

I'll have to keep an eye out for that band, Jerry Cantrell kicks a$$. My favorite band to see locally is The Atomic Punks, an early Van Halen tribute band. I highly recomend seeing these guys if you get the chance. I feel really bad about saying this, but these guys play Van Halen songs BETTER than the real Van Halen, or at least the Van Halen I saw in concert last year. Link to the website, check out the videos: http://www.theatomicpunks.com/sect/video.html

Mike

I never heard of "Cult" I will have to listen to them now.

Really? Fire Woman? She Sells Sanctuary? Wildflower? Never heard those? They were really popular in the early 90's, never my favorite, a little pop for my taste. Lead singer has really long black hair that all the 14 year old girls swooned for...

any of you into TON (type O neg.) ? Another excellent band, but you gotta be in the mood for it (hard to explain but most of you know what Im tlaking bout) In short: Dont listen to if you are depressed :) even tho thats the only time I do! LOL

Heard of them, never listened to them. Have to check them out now.

My big revelation recently has been "stoner rock". I'd never heard of that classification before, but I've been liking this type of music forever. I always liked the hardest edged stuff on the radio, and it is really the lighter side of stoner rock. My next concert (already bought tickets) is going to be Alabama Thunderpussy, Weedeater, Fu Manchu, and Corrosion of Conformity. Can't wait.

Other stoner rock bands I've run across that I really like would include Isis, Kyuss (the band before QOTSA), Mondo Generator, Honcho, Orange Goblin, Clutch, the Melvins, Unida, and Halfway to Gone. My friend dragged me to the Melvins with Jello Biafra on New Years Eve this year. At the time I'd only heard vague references to Jello as that freaky punk guy who tried to run for mayor of San Francisco, and I knew that the Melvins were a local band. That was a damn good show.

When I found out about this "stoner rock" I searched on the internet, and found http://www.stonerrock.com. If you jump to this link: http://www.stonerrock.com/store/browse2.asp?JumpTo=CD you can buy CD's right from the site. The good part about this is that almost every CD has an mp3 that you can download as a degraded quality sample. The degraded quality is about radio quality from what I hear, so they aren't bad at all. I found the site and downloaded a buttload of mp3's just to get a taste of every band on the site. There is a lot of crap on there, but I did find some really good stuff too, including all the bands I listed above.

Guest bastaad525

Too bad Layne Staley (spelling?) took his own life... his vocals were perfect for AiC's music. There were one of my top favorite bands for a long time. My favorite album by far was the one with the purple cover with the three legged dog on the cover... can't believe I can't remember the name of it. It was a bit low key for them though, but was also one of the first where Jerry Cantrell really did a lot of the vocals. The two of them sounded even better singing at the same time.

*sigh* man... I really miss the '90's....

Wow.. I feel 'old' now.. :lol: I always had AIC blasting on my stereo...Never into the Cult really, better than country though! Ahh.. the good old days.. AIC, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP, Metallica... lots of good partying.. :twisted: Sounds like it was a good show man.. Keep on rockin. :rockon: