HybridZ

project question. RB or oldschool for a real JDM Fairlady S30...

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Okay i started to plan for the 1976 JDM Fairlady Z ill be bring back home with me. its a mess, so ill have to go over the whole thing, floors, rails, body panels, everything!

Im going vintage race car theme on the outside.

prob some JCR cali style rear flares, john w's subtle front fenders, and abunch of Vintage tech Z parts. and also a G-nose with some type of air dam.

Now the engine was going to be a built high compression n/a with tripple webers or some other type of carb that i still need to do research on. was going to be pretty much all out, make as much power as i could, and not worry about it being streetable.

but now i look at that and say.. "that would take as much money as a crazy RB26DETT swap."

now the RB26DETT wouldnt go with the exterior theme but thats okay i guess.

so what would you guys do.

1- Vintage Old Race car exterior theme with a vintage pretty badass L28 carbed N/A Motor for racing only.

or

2- Vintage Old Race Car exterior with a crazy RB26DETT with upgraded turbos, all the goodies to make more power then ill need, and still sorta streetable.

to behonest i dont know what to choose, both seem fun in there own way.

it will take awhile to even start on this project but ill have the time, money, and tools to do this so i dont mind.

Mike

Guest JAMIE T

Let's be serious here...

You NEED to sell the car to ME.

When I get it, I will put a blow thru turbo L28 in it. ZG flares. 16" Watanebe's.

Paint it dark blue and learn to speak Japanese. Then, I will move to Japan, and spend my nights racing around the Wangon. I will make friends with a guy in a black Porsche, and we can dust every car on the road. Then, someone will make a movie of it.

Seriously, I'll trade you an RB26 for it.

Guest ON3GO

jamie the car is a mess but in the long run it will be worth it.

i had a rb26 in my garage for abit then sold it for some needed money. kick myself everyday for that.

so im pretty sure ill go rb26 on this..

time to start saving!

mike

Guest ON3GO

lol everybody wants to trade for this thing... its a MESS!

its cool but a mess.

before i start this project i plan on picking up a few migs and a tig, i want this car to show what i can do and will try my hardest to do.

i sorta want it to long old vintage but when you see it go you say "gawd dammm"

im not even sure what kind of turbo setup, im really on the ropes on this.

but i need to start putting all this stuff down on paper or i wont stick to anything i wanna do.

mike

I say go RB just to keep my post relevant. However.....When the heck are you going to finish the hulk? Or did I miss something and she's already done(driving)? Dang I can't even get my one car running for more than a week. Anyway you already got a cool L motor car, although turbo. An L should never be chosen over an RB if its going to cost the same in my opinion unless however you plan on being a datsun mechanic and want to show off how much power you can extract from an NA L and wish to compete with the likes of Rebello, Subelt etc...

Guest ON3GO

well the hulk is pretty much done, it was driving for awhile, its now down again getting the new standalone put on it.

when i get the hulk ill finish the body work and paint and interior.

it will get even more power in the future but i wanna drive it 1st.

the blue Z will be done as soon as i put it together, waiting for the machine shop to get back to me about the low suit.

i wanna try something different then a L motor since thats all i have done so far.

V8 will be next after... but im thinking of putting one in my FC rx7.

mike

Mike - can't recall is the JDM Fairlady a S30 or S31 or GS30 or GS31? I have done some checking for a RHD dash - most are cracked also so I think it would be easier to get it recovered/repaired in the US. The other option is just to get a molded carpet cover in RHD (I have one and they can be purchased in Australia for low $USD)

How about a Nissan Titan VK56DE 5.6 all alloy DOHC V8 repower?

Cheers

Mike

Guest ON3GO

hey man.

it has the cloth dash cover thingy already.

i have thought about the titan motor but i got a werid style.. i gotta have a sexy looking engine too. werid taste.

its a S30 Z.

im looking got a RB26DETT now and some upgraded twins.

ill make my own exhaust manifold, atleast i think i will.

thats all i know right now.

mike

Okay i started to plan for the 1976 JDM Fairlady Z ill be bring back home with me. its a mess' date=' so ill have to go over the whole thing, floors, rails, body panels, everything!

Im going vintage race car theme on the outside.

prob some JCR cali style rear flares, john w's subtle front fenders, and abunch of Vintage tech Z parts. and also a G-nose with some type of air dam.

Now the engine was going to be a built high compression n/a with tripple webers or some other type of carb that i still need to do research on. was going to be pretty much all out, make as much power as i could, and not worry about it being streetable.

but now i look at that and say.. "that would take as much money as a crazy RB26DETT swap."

now the RB26DETT wouldnt go with the exterior theme but thats okay i guess.

so what would you guys do.

1- Vintage Old Race car exterior theme with a vintage pretty badass L28 carbed N/A Motor for racing only.

or

2- Vintage Old Race Car exterior with a crazy RB26DETT with upgraded turbos, all the goodies to make more power then ill need, and still sorta streetable.

to behonest i dont know what to choose, both seem fun in there own way.

it will take awhile to even start on this project but ill have the time, money, and tools to do this so i dont mind.

Mike[/quote']

Hey Mike, go with the RB man!

I am on the same way of thinking as you here. As the plan for my 240z was to have it appearing like any other old school classic racer with pretty much stock looking exterior apart from wheels, & original colour etc . So that my opposition dont give it a second glance at the track, but it packs one hell of a surprise from under the bonnet with the RB30DET and GTR running gear .......................A bit of a sleeper i guess :wink:

I like what you are doing, go with the RB!

Clint T

Guest ON3GO

i had a question about the RB30...

how would i go about getting a block?

i would build the rb26 when i get it so i would do the same if i got the 30.

so do they sell forged units for it, like rods and pistons.

how high can a 30 rev?

and i would use the 26 head right?

mike

i had a question about the RB30...

how would i go about getting a block?

i would build the rb26 when i get it so i would do the same if i got the 30.

so do they sell forged units for it' date=' like rods and pistons.

how high can a 30 rev?

and i would use the 26 head right?

mike[/quote']

Hey mike

The RB30 engines are a dime a dozen out here (NZ) I brought a spare one for $115 the other day. They pop up on trademe (our ver of ebay) all the time.

The standard internals are good for 600hp all day long @ a max of 7200 rpm, (more with F'd rods, pistons etc)

The RB30 is probably the single most developed & modified engine in Australia. All manor of parts are made & avalible for it, Rods, pistons etc.

I brought an Aussie mag the other day, it featured a road driven VL commodore (Car that the RB30e came standard in) that had a very developed SOHC RB30 producing 572 RWKW, yes thats right! 572kw at the back wheels still on the single cam head!

Yeah the RB26 head will go onto the RB30 block, i believe the 26 head bolts are of a larger dia, so you have to drill & tap the threads in the block bigger, but thats about it.

These RB30DET/TT's make huge torque! :-) More than enough for the s30 chassis to cope with.

Not sure about the RPM but there is a R32 RWD only with this setup here in NZ that does 8.40 seconds @ 162MPH down the 1/4 and the car is street legal 8).

Mike the RB30DET mod is something that is done often down under due to the supply of RB30E and RB30ET.

I say go with the RB be it RB26DET, RB26DETT, RB30DET.

Not sure about the RPM but there is a R32 RWD only with this setup here in NZ that does 8.40 seconds @ 162MPH down the 1/4 and the car is street legal 8).

Mike the RB30DET mod is something that is done often down under due to the supply of RB30E and RB30ET.

I say go with the RB be it RB26DET' date=' RB26DETT, RB30DET.[/quote']

That car is Rob's from RIPS, that engine has stock internals :wink:

Clint T

Guest ON3GO

lol okay.. i would do the RB30 but could i really afford to ship a engine block here to the states?

i can get a RB26DETT head for pretty cheap here in texas, and i can figure out a way to get the internals and etc i need for the block some how i guess.

does the internals of the block need anything at all to cope with big boost? like oil squirters, etc?

does parts like timing belts, water pumps, and etc work on a RB30 that are from say the RB25, 26 and so on?

im looking into twin GT30R's or 32's right now, wanna speak to james thagard on here about what are good specs to run, also wanna ask my buddy alex costa.

i could care less about good 1/4th mile times, i wanna see what this sucker could do on the highway :D.

mike

• 1 month later...

Old school japan hot rod style. Sounds like what I want to do. I say crazy L series. There's nothing like completing the look you want with a triple carbed motor under the bonnet. After doing some research I too quickly found out that the price of building a 300hp NA motor is steep...steep enough that you begin to lean towards the venerable RB26. I myself want to the experience of building/tuning/racing with a Nasty L series....but WILL have an RB26 in an S30 one day.

What makes the RB26 so appealing (to me) is that it makes so much power with bigger injectors, and a simple tune. What can be better than having an incredibe powerband and 300 something rwhp on a STOCK motor. Classic race car styling, modern motivation. ......11 sec zeroyon. Perfect.

Now if I could just win the lottery.