HybridZ

i finally got around to having a photoshoot. (56k:NO)

b__sosick

My car(s);;;

(just the "highlights," for the rest, go to my photobucket

fb2d657f.jpg

db13b0b7.jpg

0242de87.jpg

c3eaa07c.jpg

d86656cf.jpg

774afaa8.jpg

the interior on the "new" one (the 5spd gold/tan one,79 model) is horrible. The everything leaks and I need to fix that. however, the exterior on the 82(silver) silver one is even worse, and therefor a harder fix. if you go to the photobucket you can see everything I sanded and bondo'd on the silver one. I've only had the gold one for 3 days and haven't had the chance to work on it because of my actual job.

plus the wheels on the 79 are way sweeter. I gotta clean em up real good though, because of brake dust and cool stuff like that.

Gotta replace the brake pads (they are down to the metal on the right rear one)

anywho, I think I'm going to swap heads from my old one, since that motor runs so much stronger than the gold ones. They have the same head(N42, I believe), just the 82(silver) has about 50 thousand less miles on it.

/le sigh

I need a new exhaust badly because the 79 (gold) leaks all over the place. and all of the gauges work in the new one except for the temperature gauge (sketchY!!!) but at least the speedo/odo work, because that's a luxury the silver z doesn't have. also, the gold one USED to have a sunroof, but I guess they sealed it up after it started leaking (dumbasses)

ps i didn't put that intake there. the previous owner, my friend hank, has a turbo lexus sc 400 that is in the shop, so he put that intake there until he gets it back. the tube is from an rsx, and the filter is a k&n for his 2jz.

don't forget to check out the album for lots lots more, including my new neighbor's house. he's a cop that for some reason always has a sweet lookin lancer with ground effects and a wing in front of his house, and a crx si with a tarp over it.

I think he's a cop by day, street racer by night. I don't know I haven't quite got the story on him yet. haha.

tell me what you think!

---b

Don't swap the heads.

Swap the engines. The 79 ZX has the motor out of a 280z, which is a little smaller AND it has dished pistons.

The one in the 82 has flat tops, so higher compression which is why it feels like it runs stronger.

Mario

PS T-top leaks can be a b!tch to fix.

Don't swap the heads.

Swap the engines. The 79 ZX has the motor out of a 280z' date=' which is a little smaller AND it has dished pistons.

The one in the 82 has flat tops, so higher compression which is why it feels like it runs stronger...[/quote']

A little smaller? How is that? And the 82 may or may not have flat tops I supose (Seriously, I've heard of 82's that did not, although that could be bad info) but iirc, the stock flat tops motors have slightly lower compresion.

Older heads (N42 for one) on a flat top moter will give you higher compression as the head designs changed quite a bit over the years. It's my understanding the 82 zx has a different head. (Not N42, but I can't remember the number..)

You should have a P79 head engine in the 1982 with flattop pistons.. This is the more desireable engine with higher stock compression.....The 1979 can either be a N42 but most likely a N47 head engine with dished pistons. Look for the head code between the first and second sparkplug . You do not want to place a later p79 head on an earlier dish piston engine since the compression will drop from 8.8 to7.4 compression ratio. Your N77 and N42 head engines with dished pistons have. a 8.3 CR..........E31,E88, N42 and N47 head engines equipped with flattop pistons will gain up to 10.4 to 10.8 CR.. You may eventually hook up your 1979 N 47 (round port) head to the flattop piston engine of the 1982 for 10.4 CR....and a lot faster car with the 1979 tranny................................. I have heard that about all these heads flow about the same. .............................................................................................................................................................First and second gear of the 1979 tranny will give you more acceleration than the taller geared first and second of the 1982 tranny but the 1982 Has a good economy cruising fifth gear... you have some good parts to diddle with.

Thanks, here come trouble! I'll definetly keep all of that in mind.

The 82 is a p79, and the 79 a n42. I'm glad I didn't do the head swap. I would have been all "hey wtf?"

Also, the 82 was the 3spd auto, not 5 spd manual. so it had absolutely no economy at highway speeds.

thanks again!

I am not sure if the 79 zx has a 3.54 or 3.90 differential ......but 81-83 non turbo ZXs had a 3.90 differential which is a plus for off the line acceleration and the diff I would like to put in my 1978 250 GTO project. What I should do is obtain a ZX parts car to upgrade my 78's performance. Some simple inexpensive parts changing can increase a Zs performance.