HybridZ

road racing stuff

mom'sZ

Hi everyone

This question is for anyone to chime in and any links would be appreciated. What is a good (SCCA legal) racing seat? Also, does anyone make a bolt in (SCCA showroom stock legal) roll cage for a 77 280Z. Does anyone have one? How does it fit?

Also, does anyone make a replacment high performance ECU for the FI 280z that would comply with the SCCA IT rules? In other words... plugs into the stock wiring harness & fits in the stock location.

Autopower makes a decent bolt in cage that's SCCA legal. I guess any racing seat which has high sides and a rather tight fit is good. Less you have to brace yourself and more to concentrate on the road. Kirkey seats seem to be the best bang for the buck, but I beleive the rules say the back of the seat must be braces then as well. There are several "universal" products which bolt to the cross-bar on the cage which do this.

The only way you can run any other ECU is by cheating, and it's probably been done. I've heard of stories where there will be another ECU hidden under the dash that the driver can switch over, or something to that effect. I also remember reading in the Top End Performance catalogue about running a switch to the cold start valve and turning that on at higher RPM's, which is also not legal.

preith:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong

SCCA IT category rulebook section D.1.a.6

Fuel injected cars may alter or replace the engine management computer, or ECU, provided that all modifications are done within the original OEM ECU housing. Only the stock (unmodified) OEM ECU connection to the wiring harness may be used.

I appologize if I'm wrong. Am I?

oh and sorry... thanks for the advise on cage and seat. Do you have bolt in autopower cage in your car? (or did) and is your seat the brand mentioned?

That's a recent rule change in ITS regarding computers. Any race seat should meet FIA 8855-1999 specs which means you don't have to run a seat back brace to be SCCA legal.

The Autopower cage is safe and easy to install. I sell them if you want me to quote a price (should be less then what Autopower quotes retail).

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for replying Randy77, I will contact them and see what they have. As far as the SUs, spec line for 75-78 280z in SCCA ITS reads Nissan (bosch) L-jetrontic FI, so I'm going to have to use the stock FI.

Thanks for the lead on an old thread

The 2.8L with the stock FI can make comparable horsepower (now that the ECU's are free) and more torque then the 2.4L in ITS trim. But, the 300lb weight penalty for thr 280Z makes them uncompetitive.

• 6 months later...
The 2.8L with the stock FI can make comparable horsepower (now that the ECU's are free) and more torque then the 2.4L in ITS trim. But, the 300lb weight penalty for thr 280Z makes them uncompetitive.

I wanted to revive this thread because I just found out... for 2006 the 280Z gets a whooping 225 lb. weight break in ITS... YES!!!! Down from 2730 to 2505, just 75 lb. heavier then the 240

Hoorrrrayyyyyy

the mighty Zcar rise again!!!!!

Celebrations still occuring in the mom's quarters

And the ZX and 300 also recieved last christmas presents and also should have a brighter outlook in the class. There was talk of the zcar's days in IT being numbered. Now the talk is of certain Zcars returning from retirement.

Like you say John, now the question is getting it legally down to it's weight, I'm no lightweight ... 215 lbs. Help comes from the new nascar door bar rule allowing door gutting on both sides.

I went with the Kirkey Roadrace intermediate seats and I think they are a good value seat. They are SCCA approved and what I like best is they are modular. You can add components as money allows for the upper sholder wings, head halo, and thigh supports.

Buttlerbuilt seats are amazing because they'll custom build to your frame. However, when I spoke to them about a month ago, they had been working through a FIVE HUNDRED seat order from NASCAR's top three series, the trucks, bush and grand national. My guess is it'll be a long wait for get one or two from them.

The other aluminum frame seat maker that has been discussed recently is Ultrashield. Their's seem very comperable to the other two makers.

I'm pretty much through with the MOMO/SPARCO/Corbeau/Cobra stuff out there. They are overpriced when pricing most of their FIA certified race seats.

I must admit I'm impressed with the Kirkey. Also, Doug Carrow has an OMP seat that is very well contructed and seems like a decent alternative. My Kirkey seats came in the same box and both seats with seat covers and foam weighed what one of my Corbeau A4s weighed!

I got my seats at http://www.ioport.com

Mike

I went with the Kirkey Roadrace intermediate seats and I think they are a good value seat...

Mike

Mike: I read about your seat purchase in your other thread. The Kirkey sounds like a good deal and I don't need it right this moment. If you don't mind me asking such a personal question, your weight and height please. If this was covered in the other thread I apologize.

I'm 5'9" and I weigh right about 200# (up or down 5# every week or so). Here is the issue with fitment for me... I have bicycled for nearly three decades and have abnormally large legs, and with my upper body build (Size 46 inch chest/ coat), I was concerned about the seat/rib support. A size 16 seat should have fit me fine, but due to the size of my thighs, I chose going with the size 17 seat, which fits me perfect everywhere except the lower waist which is a 34-ish size (a little loose in that seat). I've talked to others who bought the size 15 and it fit well. Factor in the size of the driving suit/ layers of nomex "stuff" and such. My seat will fit me fine, even if I were to go on an Anna Nicole trimspa/ cocaine binge! :lmao:

Mike :cool:

i think jim cook racing has broke the code on nissan ecm and can reprogram them.you can get more horsepower with some good su carbs though.

You want Sunbelt Perfromance Engines in Suwanee, GA (770-932-0160) to reprogram your ECU, when the time comes. They are much more familiar with ITS than Jim Cook Racing.

You want Sunbelt Perfromance Engines in Suwanee, GA (770-932-0160) to reprogram your ECU, when the time comes. They are much more familiar with ITS than Jim Cook Racing.

Ok, I have to bite. How much can you really do with an antiquated ECU from a 280Z? It's been a long time since I've tinkered with the L-jetronic, but from what I remember a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and a different pump pays dividens.

The rules states: "Fuel injected cars may alter or replace the engine management computer, or ECU, provided that all modifications are done within the original OEM ECU housing. Only the stock (unmodified) OEM ECU connection to the wiring harness may be used."

That box is pretty big. Why can't one replace the internals with something newer and programmable? The only catch would be the 02 sensor; trying to think of a way around the harness rule...

You can put lots of different ECUs in that box including some of the latest Motec units. Regarding the O2 sensor, the ECU can be tuned with a 4 wire and then the maps locked. When actually racing the OEM O2 sensor is ignored and the car run off the maps (open loop). The same can be done with all of the other sensors - tuned and setup with a sophisticated harness and sensors to get the proper maps and then the stock harness plugged in with computer only looking at IAT, TP, RPM, etc.