HybridZ

Built P90, T3/TO4B up and running.

SleeperZ

Finally got it all back together today and took it for a spin around the block.

The car's been sitting for 8 months. After I finished the last road event I had an exhaust leak and a dead battery. All the exhaust manifold bolts had loosened up on me and blown apart the gasket. Anyway I installed the ARP head studs and put on my P90 with a MSA stage 2 turbo cam. I've never run the head on more than 7 psi boost, and never with an intercooler and the 3" exhaust.

Vacuum was low, 10" or so. That's the cam. It was a slug at low rpm, relatively speaking. I've got the boost controller at 10psi. First time I floored it, it creeps through 3k rpm, the boost comes on and it just goes sideways. The non-linearity of the acceleration is unbelievable, and it pulls incredibly hard under boost. Not sure I like it as much as a stock head, but it sure is fun! I've no doubt I'm gonna hit the factory rev limiter time after time, so I'll have to get a modified EPROM in the injection computer. It'd be real intersting to dyno this after some tuning...

:D:D:D

but it sure is fun! I've no doubt I'm gonna hit the factory rev limiter time after time' date=' so I'll have to get a modified EPROM in the injection computer. It'd be real intersting to dyno this after some tuning...

:D:D:D[/quote']

Let me know on the eprom mods. I can walk you thru it or do it for you.

Bernard

WoW!!

I wanna see her running!! hehe

What kind of cam did you put in your motor?!

I have my N/A cam and I am really thinking of upgrading... and i'm looking around for some good specs =)

I had the cam installed about 5 years ago, ran it for a summer, then swapped in a cherry factory rebuilt engine I found in the U-pull-it (Sidewinder, in Denver). I sold the old shortblock, and only now re-installed the head. The cam is a Schneider 270/260, and I think the lift is about .460, but I lost the card on it. At 0.050" lift, there is virtually no overlap, but the idle is rougher; of course it is ground on a smaller base circle so there was significant geometry adjustment to install it. The slope of the lobes are much sharper, and I believe the springs are a bit stiffer. There has been no significant flow work other than port matching and a little relief around the (stock) exhaust valves.

I admit I was a little unprepared for the higher rpm - I was used to the smooth torque from 2500 rpm, and not getting it, put my foot down. Hitting 3000+ on the city street surprised me, as it just pours on from there. I have not run it more than 5000 rpm yet, but at 10 psi boost it feels faster than the 16 psi on the stock cam. It certainly is not peaking where the stock cam did at 4500 rpm; I need to get it on the track and get a feel for this mutant.

How many RPM's are you turning?

Also any negative effects from the low vacuum at idle?

There may be a bit more effort in braking, I haven't spent enough time behind the wheel to tell if the vacuum controlled vents and such still operate properly. And I haven't really had the space to wind this thing out yet; as soon as I burn out the old gas with lots of added injector cleaner, I'll put it through the paces.

I'm running the same turbo as you but with the stage 1 cam. My car is also a dog until 3000 rpm and it really starts to pull at 3500 hp. However, I think the turbo has more effect on that than the cam does.

The stock cam didn't pull very hard either until 3500 rpms when used with the t3/t04b turbo.

With the stage 1 cam, the vacuum is about 14 to 15 "hg at idle. And pulls to 6500 rpm with the crane cam springs and retainers with 0.160" lash pads.

I do miss the stock t3 and stock cam setup for street driving. I hate waiting on the torque. Everyday, it seems I pull out into traffic and need to wait for the spool up to get out of someone's way. Plus down shifting is now required which is a bummer. I miss rolling on the throttle in 4th gear and breaking the tires loose. Now, I need to down shift to go anywhere.

I would like to see how the stock turbo runs with a bigger cam.

There may be a bit more effort in braking, I haven't spent enough time behind the wheel to tell if the vacuum controlled vents and such still operate properly. And I haven't really had the space to wind this thing out yet; as soon as I burn out the old gas with lots of added injector cleaner, I'll put it through the paces.

Keep us informed! I've been toying with the new cam idea for awhile now and really want to know what others think of their setups before going through the cost and labour of it all.