HybridZ

NON-Z (Engine choices: Info Needed)

Tim240z

Back to the Opel GT. I was going to get the stocker 1.9L running and use it as-is for a while, but it has issues from it's long stint of sitting still (water pump has begun to leak, alternator/ext. regulator issues etc etc). I have decided not to put any time, effort or cash into the stock engine (parts availability is a problem....only a couple of mail order places that stock parts for them)....so anyways, the conversion is in the works:

I have narrowed it down to 2 choices (based on USDM availability, physical size, and price):

1: KA-24 from a 240sx

2: Mazda FE3 2.0L 16valve from a Kia Sportage (this is the only US market vehicle that houses this engine). This is a great little engine with tons of potential (400+hp on the stock internals with a turbo, although I will not be going that route).

I know the FE3 pretty well, we had lots of cars back in SA with that engine it them (323s, 626s etc etc). I don't know much about the KA, although I have read that they are prone to spun big end bearings?

Anyone got some good info on the KA? Physical dimensions would be great!!

Tim

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Battle Pope

I know that the biggest problem with them is the bottom end. It really needs forged internals.

It's also got really really bad flow in the head.

Drop some forged internals in there, port out the head like woah, and run 20 PSI all day long. With a fair amount of work, it's a dynamite little engine. To top it off, you can pick one up for a little of nothing in cali cause everyone's tossing them for SR20s!

I will not be 'hot rodding' the engine. I will use it as it came from the donor. Anything will be a step up from screaming 80HP the stocker came with!! the car only weighs about 1800lbs.....

Guest Battle Pope

Oh. Well, I haven't heard much about reliability issues. The KA24E (SOHC version) was used in the pickup for years. I would imagine you'd want the KA24DE (DOHC version) though. It's a standard 200k+ mile engine if it's cared for. I'd still port the head though, simply because it's so bad in stock form.

If you're going by price, availability and physical size, I'd say a ford 2.3 turbo motor would be right up your alley. Makes plenty of power, parts are MORE then plentiful and it's not all that large. You can find them in everything from pintos to rangers from a few years ago :)

• Administrators

I have had 2 Nissan pickups with the KA motor in them, between both of them I logged about 150k HARD miles on them, I beat the crap out of them and never had a single problem. I think the bottom end is stronger than most people think.

Plus, you could find one for dirt cheap now days in So Cal.

Yeah...the KA is a dime a dozen at the self serve yards, and that makes them very attractive. I love the FE3, it is a great motor and has a variable flow intake which works really well, but will likely not find a Sportage in the local yards. I am waiting for a quote from my contact at LKQ, but the KA is looking more viable.....

Anyone know how 'stand alone' the engine controls harness is from the main chassis harness on the 240sx? Otherwise, I guess I could just MegaSquirt it, but the OEM would be quicker/easier if the harness is pretty self contained....

Guest Battle Pope

It's not so much that the bottom end is weak in a naturally aspirated environment, but with forced induction they take upwards of 6 psi pretty hard.

• Administrators

Tim is the original motor a front sump? Is there enough room for a straight six?

You know, the BMW engines are pretty damn strong and reliable, it's just the electronics and the rest of the car that is crap :twisted: .

The engine bay is tiny. Unless I cut the radiator support, there is no room, plus I don't want any additional weight hanging off the front end. Inline 4 is really the only choice without cutting the bay apart. Several guys have successfully done the Chevy 60* V6 swap, but I want to do quick and dirty...this is not a show car or engineering endevour.....that's what the Z is for......which I want to get back into....she's getting lonely :twisted::icon52:

If parts for the 1.9 were more readily available, I would just keep it, but to have to mail order parts every time you need something is a major PITA!!!!!! :toetap05:

First of all Tim... I hate you. I passed up a free Opel GT that I was going to drop in the KA or SR20DET, for my current Datsun. I've never heard about the spun bearing with the KA. A friend of mine and me rebuilt the KA about a couple months ago it was definately and easy and friendly motot to work with, the only problem we encountered was the timing chain tensioner. Which turned out to be a simple loosen this bolt situation...durrrrrr. Anyways you can rebuild one bone stock for around $500 all oem (no camshafts). But who likes OEM. The can handle somewhere close to the 300hp range SAFELY on stock internals. I'm sure you seen the ebay turbocharger kit for them as well, another friend and me installed one on his, it was an okay setup as in you get what you pay for etc. Don't listen to all the import tuners telling you to go SR20DET Mandatory over the KA, they are very similar engines in HP output ranges, however the KA more often times puts down more Torque.

On another note with the Opel's I've heard that you can modify corvette suspension to fit the Opel, have you ever heard of this? Also here is a forum I used to participate on that you might like to look around on http://opelgt.com/forums/index.php? another reason I passed on the Opel, I'm a fairly tall guy and the huge transmission hump was too comfortable for size 14 shoes.

The company we went through offered us by far the best price we could find on a rebuild kit for the KA. They're a local company for me, but they do huge business Internationally, I'd highly recommend them from my experience. http://www.enginekits.com/ek/

Tyson

On another note with the Opel's I've heard that you can modify corvette suspension to fit the Opel' date=' have you ever heard of this? Also here is a forum I used to participate on that you might like to look around on http://opelgt.com/forums/index.php? another reason I passed on the Opel, I'm a fairly tall guy and the huge transmission hump was too comfortable for size 14 shoes.

Tyson[/quote']

I am a member of that Opel board. The GT is VERY narrow and the oem torque tube diff is pretty damn weak. Pretty much anything over 150hp is gonna grenade it (~200hp with a LSD) There is nothing else that will work easily due to the narrow track. The Isuzu impulse diff can be swapped in easily, but the strength is no better, but does have disk brakes. Late 70s 3 series BMW is also an option......

• Administrators
but I want to do quick and dirty...this is not a show car or engineering endevour

Sounds like you are answering your own question, KA is cheap, easy to find parts etc.

Or how about it's older brother the Z24? I think that engine is not quite as wide.

If cannot find the dimensions let me know, I have a good friend that owns a nissan dealership, maybe he can get them for you.

Well thank you Tim for clarifying that. I don't like doing the heard think but I just had to know if it was possible/feasible. Best of luck to you with your choice and please keep us updated.

PS-I don't really hate you, I'm just envious. :)

Tyson

I would recommend the FE3. Its a nice engine with good all around power and light. The KA is nice but slow to rev and a low rev limit. Although it does have good low end torque. The KA is also a fairly heavy engine. If I was going to choose any engine I would look into a sr20de. It can rev too 7500rpm plus make 140rwhp with just intake and exhaust. Put cams and ecu and it can put down 160rwhp. Plus its fairly light.

Like I said...this is not a hot-rod, so HP is not a consideration (well, it always is, but I am trying to convince myself that it isn't).....at 1800lbs, even 150hp will make the little thing a rocket....driveability and reliability is a more pressing concern.

I love the FE3, but parts are just not as easily attainable as the KA......and initial buy in will be higher.....tough decision.....