HybridZ

NON-Z (Engine choices: Info Needed)

Tim240z

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they US Dometic available' date=' or are they JDM only?

I need something very available....and again...power and speed are not the over-riding consideration. Cheap, easy and relaible is what I'm looking for. The TT V8 in the Z will be my HP toy.[/quote']

JDM only, in which case I guess it wouldn't work out. One reason why I figured it would be a nice engine for you is because its not very heavy or torquey, which would save you some headaches in setting up the suspension and breaking parts. Not to mention the sound and look of those sexy velocity stacks.

As another option, there is the high comp 1.6L 130HP redtop 16V 4AGE from the 90-91 Corolla GTS, it lacks the ITBs and VVTi, but its bulletproof, fuel injected, revvy, light and will bolt up to the same T50 tranny. They're even cheaper, you could probably find a low mile example for around $400 w/harness and a tranny for $100.

Guest Battle Pope

Or you could search for a supercharged 4age out of the Gen1 MR2 SC

It's the same engine as in the AE86 GTS (except supercharged), and I think it will bolt up to the Corolla's transmission.

Then again, someone correct me if the MR2 SC isn't a 4age...

The mr2 1st gen motor was a 4agze. It was only offered on the 88+ models. Made about 160 hp but easily can pushed up with just a pulley upgrade to 200+ They are fairly cheap and light. You can also put a rwd corolla tranny up to it. Many corolla owners have done this swap. Might be alittle bit too much hp though. Also can be expensive on the parts for it. But good engine and it revs very very fast. Heck even the n/a motor might be a good choice. 4age

The Toyota 2RZ and 3RZ do infact use the same tranny mount configuration. The 5VZ-FE V6 can also be bolted to it, although I don't think it (tranny)would last that long. Ever consider the older 22RE? I think they are the cheapest most plentiful engine on the planet.

why not a early or late Miata engine (B6ZE-BP05 ) long production run, multiple platform, after-market support, parts interchangeability.

what about the possibility of USDM SR20dE converted to RWD?

Ford ecotek? There was a member on this site selling new crate engines for 600$ there is also a decent sized after-market support base for those engines.

there are just SO many choices...

BMW M42? DOHC inline four ,super common, fairly cheap, very reliable.

hmmmm, moto engine sounds really cool...opelabusa?

• 4 weeks later...