HybridZ

suspension techniques rear sway bar install.

FYI guys. I just reinstalled my rear S.T. rear sway bar. The one that mounts to the rear of the diff. Well it fit's with the bar going under the CV axels. Now one thing I have to make clear is that they fit with the 300zxt CV's. NOT!!! the 280zxt or the stock axels. This is on a 73 z. I had all 3 sets under my car, so this is a confirmation. They are a little tight at full droop. Meaning that with the rear suspension fully extended, they JUST CLEAR. and at ride hieght I have 1/2 inch clearence. I just wanted you guys to know.

Have you tried cutting some length off the little spacer in between the bushings and get a shorter bolt? I don't know how much "extra" thread there is on the bolt when everything is tightened down, but you might be able to just cut the bolt a bit for a little more clearance if that's what rubs.

Also, I don't think this will affect the clearance much if at all, but did you space the bar away from the uprights? Supposedly 1/2" spacer in there prevents the bar from binding.

My plan on mine is to cut the end of the bar off and weld a vertical plate to it and run heims joints. That should make the end link even shorter, but that's a whole lot more work.

You know what guys after reading my post it seems that I may have typed it up wrong . What I meant to say is that the 280zxt and the stock axels DO NOT fit. The 300zxt cv's that I currently have DO fit with the stock mounts that the S.T. rear bar comes with. I hope that cleared it up.

ok, i should chime in here.

I have a ST rear sway, with the ST mounts for the rear control arms. The set I got had plastic bushings instead of urethane, and they extend the sway out 1/2" from the ears.

I used shorter bolts/bushings for the sway end links by ES. I bought them at pepboys for 12 bucks a while back. When my leg's healed, I'll take measurements and pics

they clear stock axles, but it's very close, i don't know about clearance of the CVs

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have an update here...just stopped wearing my cast, so I can go back to working on the Z. Here's the spacer setup that jmortensen was talking about:

PICT0180.jpg

and you can see how the sway bar end link mounts:

PICT0189.jpg

I'll get clearer pictures next week if I remember. I think the endlink bolts were 6" long... and you can always cut down the middle sleeve and shorten the link yourself.