HybridZ

Who wants VOLK knock off wheels?

Sorry I have been gone. Well i contacted the ones offering them for $550 and they told me back in octoberish that rota will be doing special orders again in January (2 months ago) and that they can get me a set but I would have to wait. In january i called them back and they then said I would need 5-10 people to get them made. Funny how that works. The other company (the one Aux referred me to) told me that they would contact me as soon as the Grids become available, they haven't called, and it has probably been a year, I asked them a month ago, and they said still waiting. I contacted "suby dude" he is somewhere on eBay, who is also a rota dealer, he said I would need 5ish persons. If you are all up for it I am totally willing to do a group buy. But at this point I have pretty much given up.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest amgvr4

I am interested in these for my '73 datsun 510. I have five lug 300zx stuff on the front now but could redrill for 4x4.5 if need be. What tires are avalable in 245/45/16? I havent seen many.

I am interested in these for my '73 datsun 510. I have five lug 300zx stuff on the front now but could redrill for 4x4.5 if need be. What tires are avalable in 245/45/16? I havent seen many.

there are many accutally. or maybe thats 245/50/16. But gforce sport g-sport i think it is called seems good.

• 3 weeks later...

The long wait has paid off... big time. I am very happy to have just recieved my Grids. :icon14:

I think they look good and am quite content. The total cost was $667 after tax and credit card fees. They are the +10 in 16X8 (there is also a 20 offered but 10 is better for the 240z). I will find out what it takes to get them to fit on the toyota 4x4 brake setup. For now I am very happy, especially because they are not as bronze as I thought they would be. I may still get them powder coated smoke chrome though. We will see.

Wheels_-_Grid_1_41806.jpg

Wheels_-_Grid_2_41806.jpg

Wheels_-_Grid_3_41806.jpg

I dunno. Ill call them and ask about availability and pricing, I know they did give me/hybridz guys a big discount though.

EDIT: Dana at autornd says he thinks there is another set of grids in the warehouse which would be $667 total. Or there are now rota D2's in 17X7.5 +20 with 4x114.3 or 17X8.5 +20 at 4x114.3: http://www.autornd.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=14_8857&products_id=170&osCsid=bedb78b2a38be2bb3be452e93430fdc5

• 2 months later...

Mine just came in today. I couldn't wait to see what they would look like so I tried one on the back. It looks like these might actually fit with stock suspension on a 280Z. I couldn't get one on the front tonight. Hopefully tomorrow. BTW, backspacing measured to almost exactly 5".

This vendor has two other wheels that could fit our cars. They have offered to do a group buy if enough people are interested:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=112295 and

http://www.autornd.com/catalog/images/BLACKD2.JPG

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4500.jpg

IMG_4495.jpg

IMG_4502.jpg

IMG_4503.jpg

Gold rocker trim! Pimp, ain't it?

IMG_4504.jpg

ok nevermind my question about the D2 pricing. but i tried searching and i couldnt find an answer to this question, what does a higher offset do to the appearance that it has on the car? is it something a spacer could fix? after looking around at wheels i noticed the FNO1R-C is priced well but it has an offset of +35...

A higher offset moves the center of the wheel out, effectively moving the wheel farther in when mounted on the car. For a high offest like +35 you'll definitely need a spacer.

I'm not sure on the details about the Rota D2. I'm pretty certain that they're 17", but I don't know the offset or width. Dana just said that he had some that would work with our cars.

http://www.autornd.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=14_8857&products_id=170

It sounds like between this thread and auxilary's there are a few people interested. If more people post I'll get the details of the group buy and post in the Group Buy forum.

Well, the fronts didn't go quite so smoothly. The hub appears to be app. 2 7/8", but the opening in the wheels is only app. 2 5/8". And it looks like the wheel would hit the spring perch anyway.

The spring shouldn't be a problem since coilovers are going on the car before the wheels anyway. Would a small spacer to get past the largest part of the hub be safe?

Well' date=' the fronts didn't go quite so smoothly. The hub appears to be app. 2 7/8", but the opening in the wheels is only app. 2 5/8". And it looks like the wheel would hit the spring perch anyway.

The spring shouldn't be a problem since coilovers are going on the car before the wheels anyway. Would a small spacer to get past the largest part of the hub be safe?[/quote']

Ya. I plan on running an 8-10mm front spacer once we get the old wheels off.

rudypoochris - I should have checked back on the forum before I went back in the garage :2thumbs:

Anyway, I searched -gasp- and learned that the Z wheels are all lug-centric so a spacer should be no problem. I was worried that I was overlooking something about solving the hub bore problem with a spacer. After searching and much thought, I am no longer worried about it.

It takes at least a 0.2" spacer to clear the stock springs. 0.4 - 0.5" would probably be safe with tire. Photos at .2" spacer:

IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4506.jpg

IMG_4507.jpg

IMG_4508.jpg