HybridZ

Who wants VOLK knock off wheels?

Are these still available at a discount? I wanted to try and clear up a few things about the spacer issue. I've got a 78' 280z.

If you have the vented front brake setup - there already is a 9.10mm spacer there to center the caliper on the disk. If you have a +10mm offset wheel - and use the 9.10mm spacer for the calipers... aren't you very close to zero offset as far as tire spacing goes?

The next problem is that the caliper hits the wheel. If you use the +10mm offset wheel - then you will need to "shave" the caliper and run a 8-10mm spacer (effectively pushing the tire more toward the outside of the car)? Wouldn't +20mm offset wheels be preferred?

With the rears - if you are running a +10mm offset wheel... do the tires rub the inner fender without a spacer? If you ran the +20mm offset without a spacer - would the rub?

I've got the money in hand to buy these rims - just gotta get straightened out with the spacer issue. Thanks to everybody for the help!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the vented front brake setup - there already is a 9.10mm spacer there to center the caliper on the disk. If you have a +10mm offset wheel - and use the 9.10mm spacer for the calipers... aren't you very close to zero offset as far as tire spacing goes?

S30 hubs mount the brake disk on the back side of the hub (towards the engine bay). The wheel mounts on the front side (away from the inside of the car). This means that adding spacers to the brake side only effects where the rotor is placed in relation to the hub, where as adding spacers to the wheel side only effects where the wheel sits with the hub.

The next problem is that the caliper hits the wheel. If you use the +10mm offset wheel - then you will need to "shave" the caliper and run a 8-10mm spacer (effectively pushing the tire more toward the outside of the car)? Wouldn't +20mm offset wheels be preferred??

No. The offset of the wheel has little to do with what makes it rub in this case. It is the shoulder (for lack of a better word) of the wheel center that scrapes the caliper. Even if the wheel sits farther out it will still rub. If changing the offset changes the angle of the spokes then a 0 or negative offset would acctually be prefered over a +20. A +20 would only make things worse. You want closer to 0 offset anyway with the Z's to prevent rubbing and other bad things. Just get a 8-10mm spacer.

With the rears - if you are running a +10mm offset wheel... do the tires rub the inner fender without a spacer? If you ran the +20mm offset without a spacer - would they rub?

A +20 means that the wheel is in 20mm from centerline. A +10 means it is in 10mm from centerline. Thus a +10 gives a wheel that sticks farther out then a +20. The lower the offset the farther away from the inside of the car the wheel sits. So a +10 should be less likely to rub than a +20. (I don't know if they rub or not since each setup is different and I am running coilovers and such, also I haven't got tires on them yet!).