HybridZ

Broke a thread tap in my intake manifold- am I screwed?

Sean73

Long story short, I have a broken thread tap in one of the injector hold-down holes on my N42 intake manifold. I tried drilling it out with a cobalt bit, but it doesn't even touch it. It's lodged in there real good. Should I just throw this manifold in the garbage, or is there something I can try?

You need a CARBIDE endmill or a tap burning machine. Take it to a machine shop and let them work on it. W/ a tap burner it'll be easy but depending on where you are, the local machine shop may not have one. Good luck.

What size is the tap? Tiny I am guessing...

There is a new tool out now (well, new to me anyway) that slides down around the broken tap and engages on the cutting flutes of the tap. You just slide it in and unscrew the broken tap.

One thing I don't know is whether they come that small.

good luck.

Stop by any local auto dealer and get the name of the Snap-On or Matco supply guy. Anyone in the service shop will be able to help you. Both companies sell tap extractors. Once you've got the tool the extraction should be easy. If you've damaged the hole trying to remove the tap it may be a bit more difficult. I've used snap ring pliers on either side of the tap to twist it back out with success too. Heat the manifold with a torch (propane) at little too if you have to. The aluminum will expand faster than the steel to help loosen things.

With small broken taps..my luck has been to break them in pieces with a chisel or punch and remove the pieces with hopes the damage to the hole will allow salvage with a bigger tap and larger threads.... a new intake manifold may be a lot less problem... a broken tap is usually lodged in there very tight giving to the reason for breakage in the first place. Try all the suggestions above but do not let your costs overun a replacement manifold.

Thanks for the ideas. Has anyone ever tried heating the tap with a torch, and then shock-freezing it with some refrigerant? Hopefully the tap would shatter on it's own without damaging the surrounding material.

I already located a replacement manifold, I just hate to throw a N42 intake out.

Sean:

Hung around a motorcycle machine shop and saw a lot of broken hardware embedded in cast aluminum pieces, a real problem. Taps are super hard, a titanium bit is the only thing that will touch it. If you go that route, center punch it so the bit doesn't migrate to the softer aluminum. But in a similar situation I saw the bolt boss get ground off (along with the busted tap) and aluminum material added with the welder and redrilled and tapped. It could maybe save the manifold.