HybridZ

Welding a r200 with a broken center pin

660Z

I have a 3:90 r200 with a broken center carrier pin. the gears are fine. Can I use this rear welded just for dragracing without having to replace the pin? (In other words leaving the broken pin in and welding the gears around it.

I have an extra carrier from a busted differential if you want it. I could let you have it for about $30 if you want it. The problem with welding the gears up like you are talking about is you would be welding steel to cast iron. I don't think that will hold up to a whole lot of power. You would probably break the welds and then just have a mess. You are talking about the pin for the spider gears right?

Yes that`s the pin i`m talking about...my best bet would be to buy a new pin and weld up the gears. Anyone know where I can get a new pin?

Leith280zlt1: thanks for your offer but this is just a spare I have laying around and a spare thought in my head.

Mark

In the old days, yup, the old days, we used to fill three teeth 180 degrees apart on the spider gears with brass. Get out your torch and braze them full, reinstall after they cool off. The brass will "work" into the other teeth and the remnants will not damage the ring and pinion. You can also redo it as needed.

This is an old circle track mod that was done before posi's and lockers became so prevalent.

Welding works for awhile but eventually fails, the cast doesn't weld that well and breaks, the gears don't fare well when all this gets into them.

Welding works for awhile but eventually fails, the cast doesn't weld that well and breaks, the gears don't fare well when all this gets into them.

Welding does not fail if done properly. I have welded atleast 6 diffs for rockcrawler friends, including mine. The drivetrain in them sees more torque than any car street car due to gearing. Never had a problem. My Z's diff has been welded for about 10 years also. All were mig'd.

How bad does a welded diff affect turning?

I drove my truck welded on the street for about 15k miles. Rear tire wear is greatly increased. You'll notice it most in parking lots, just from the scrub and a little bucking at times. Faster than 15 mph on the street driving like most people doyou won't be able to tell. For me it wasn't worth the $$ as big tires are expensive, A locker was less than a pair of tires.

On a track car it will induce alot of understeer in slower corners. It kills me in slow turns. The faster the turn the less push. If you have alot of power it is better than an open diff for getting power down on corner exit, reason why I did it. A low HP car wouldn't see the same benifit. On a street car I would only do it if you run cheap tires and don't have the $$ for a LSD.

For me, it had a terrible effect on turning. Right hand turns, like you would get in a neigborhood, were painfull. The rear half shafts would make this sick noise and the car would shake like it was tearing apart. Parking lots were worst! Left hand turns weren't so bad because of the bigger radius with a left hand turn. I found myself bumping the throttle to kick the back around. The good things were good traction (of course) and just turning the steering wheel after parking doubled as an emergency brake.