HybridZ

Lt1 redline and performance

I've been trying to find the redline of my 94 LT1 and I'm not sure if I have the correct information. It appears that the LT1 has a 5,800 rpm redline and the LT4 has a 6,300 rpm redline. Can anyone confirm this?

I've also found that you may get better performance if you stay below 5,000 rpm max from the LT1 engine. Can anyone confirm this information? What I'm really after is what rpm should I shift when I want to achieve the best acceleration.

Once I confirm this information I want to somehow mark my autometer tach so that I can easily see when I'm at my peak rpm. I don't want to get one with a shift light, I would just like to somehow mark an area of the tach maybe with orange and red background (like factory gauges do). Maybe I could put some sort of sticker or mark on the face of the tach (but something that looks half way decent)?

There was a thread not too long ago discussing this topic.Shift points will vary from gear to gear based on a few factors such as cam profile,gearing,tire size and so on.A dyno run should tell you where your motor is at its happy point,my guess on a mild 350 with basic mods,3500-5000rpm range somewhere.Upgrades to cam,valvetrain,exhaust and so on could move this number around quite a bit.Up as far as 7k on a 350.A dyno is the best way to know really,but seat of the pants and time slips with an experienced racer will be more fun.Finding a car similar in setup to your own will likely give you a good baseline also.Sorry to muddy up the water here.Hell,just set the light to 5k and let 'er rip.

I believe that the stock cam produces it's torque peak at 1600-1700rpm. there really isn't much more you can do to get more power without opening up the engine (cam swap, ported heads etc) since you have basically the outside stuff (headers, exhaust, C.A.intake etc).

Power bug biting you ALREADY!!

I believe that the stock cam produces it's torque peak at 1600-1700rpm. there really isn't much more you can do to get more power without opening up the engine (cam swap' date=' ported heads etc) since you have basically the outside stuff (headers, exhaust, C.A.intake etc).

Power bug biting you ALREADY!![/quote']Of course I have the Power Bug, don't we all:twisted: .

For now, I'm really just interested in using what I have effectively.

LT1 rev limit is 5,800 but the early ones ('92 and '93) were rumored to have a problem with the rods. Constant useage at high rpms (road race, LSR) saw a number of failures. In late '93 Chevy supposedly strengthened the rods for constant high rpm running.

Stock LT1's torque curve is extremely flat. One published dyno showed torque 328 at 3000 and 295 at 5250 with peak of 331 at 3900. The horsepower peak was 295 at 5250 on a chasis dyno.

The Rev limiter in stock 95 Camaro was 5886 in first and 5805 in 2 - 6. Many simply increased the rev limit and shifted at higher RPMs. I had a small 214/218 cam and shifted at 6450 in first because the engine loved to rev and it produced the best times. If you enter my cam on a desktop dyno it suggests peak hp at 5500 and peak torque at 4000.

Depending on your engine setup it will be totally different than someone elses. BUT as a family LT1's like to rev and develop a BROAD flat torque curve.

I just changed to a 224/232 .510/.530 because in my Z it does well with headers and 4.11's.

Good luck