HybridZ

hp/ torque

a have a friend who has done up a 240z over in boston

he had a stock rear end

how much torque and hp can the best rear end that will go into the 280zx (as in another datsun rearend) handle? and is that the r200? if not what is it? prices please?

First - a 240Z has an R180 for a stock differential. It is less robust than the R200.

Second - Are we talking about a 240Z or a 280ZX? Very different cars.

A fresh R200 can probably handle 450 lb-ft of torque. The problem then will be the half-shaft universals and the suspension - neither of which were designed to handle that much. If it's applied 'gently' it'll all handle it. If you drop the hammer something will break.

Of course it also depends on if you have an auto or manual, and what your first gear ratio is. For instance, my car will have 70% more torque to the diff in 1st than stock, but in 2nd, it'll be similar to the original 1st because my 1st gear is much lower than stock 1st. So I'll tread lightly in 1st untill I upgrade to the R200, 280zx halfs and high perf suspension. Or maybe a dana 44 off a corvette we'll see.

You Know I've been wondering the same question. How much abuse the half shafts can take? I've been down the 1/4 mile about 15-18 times, running drag radials down to 15 p.s.i.,launching the car around 3500 r.p.m.'s and the car is a 6 speed. My best time soooo far is 11.87 @ 120.76. And my best 60 foot time is 1.74. Still getting the hang of the car and I will be going quicker! :twisted: Will do a post on being a 11 second man! :-D I'm waiting for a half shaft to break and the long expensive tow home. I'am switching over to R230-Q45 rear end soon.

JOEY

I'am switching over to R230-Q45 rear end soon.

JOEY

Q45's use r200's. Z32TT has the R230.

I haven't had any diff issues with 550+ ft/lbs but did waste and aftermarket U joint on the D shaft before getting 1310's. An R200 will take just about anything. From reading past posts The half shaft U joint seems to be the weak link. I know there is a Neapco Brute Force replacement. I don't know if they are any stronger though.

Sticky tires will break the diff quickly. Use normal sized street radials and the tires will spin before any breakage. Think of the tires as circuit breakers.

Should be ok.

I wouldn't trust this 100%, cause you could hit a particularly ruff spot and that's when that tire rule won't save you.

I've had no drivetrain problems, even with the 6 spd and the stump puller first gear, but that it primarily due to running street tires and only having 326 lb-ft of torque. I do have a good 3.70 LSD , a really stout driveshaft and the half-shafts have brute-force universals. I put them in after my first night at Ennis. Good thing too as the 150,000 mile original universals were showing some signs of "stress".:beatdeadh

seems there is no absolute. I have run 1.63's 60 and not had a problem. The Z had a 383 and I launched ~2500, I then converted to an LT1 with ~1500 stall. The LT1 managed only 1.8's yet I melted two halfshafts?

Seems there is little logic in when they break. I converted to 280 CV's and changed to a larger stall and cam and will return to track in a couple weeks. I am expecting the half shaft problems to be history and to run alot faster should have ~350 RWHP

I have a second Z I will try 300 CV's on and will run ALOT more HP to.

Good luck