HybridZ

All hardlines were cut...help

Long story short...my brake hardlines were cut instead of disassembled at the flare nuts. The shop said the nuts were rusted solid, flare nut wrenches will not work. They had to cut it to remove it.

So is there a remedy for rusted, stuck flare nuts? The shop that removed the lines weren't a professional brake shop(The shop cut the lines because I told them to remove the lines ASAP and I will have the lines replaced with new ones later. I just didn't expect the old lines to be cut)

Now I have brake line "stubs" at every old connection. Will a professional brake shop have the right tool to remove the tight flare nuts? How do I save the situation? My original intention was to expose the area under the lines so the sandblast guys can get access. I wanted to keep the old lines for mock up when new lines are getting bent. There was even a chance that I'll clean up the old lines, paint them with rust bullet and re-use them. It's all too late.

All hard lines were cut, EVERY SINGLE ONE.

WD40

Just spend a week spraying them with WD40, then chances are a flare nut wrench will unbolt them with no drama. If one is really stuck you could try heating with a propane torch.

At this point you may want to consider swapping over to AN fittings. Do a quick search. JohnC has talked about doing this swap.

BTW, in your haste you sure have created a lot of extra work for yourself.

Use a good penitrating oil. Works better than WD 40. Apply every day for a few days and then try a good pair of vice grips on the nuts. It will ruin the nut but you are not going to be reusing them anyway.

As far as the lines on the car, you can either replace with new stuff or you can buy a double flair tool and reflair the old lines.

If these are the front lines and just the short hard lines (6 inches or so) were cut that go from the caliper to the flexiable line you can just replace it all (rubber line and short hard line) with braided SS line. Got a pic?

A great way of getting brake line fittings loose is to heat with a torch(not too much though, the calipers have those rubber seals in them after all!), then pour water over them. This shocks the rust thats built up and works almost every time!

Guy

Now that they are cut off there is no need to use a flare nut wrench. Just use a six point 10mm socket. If they are rounded, vise-grips will get them out.

I always use never-seize on the threads when I reassemble. Just be careful not to get it in system.

Sam

Wow I just tried vise-grip on a rounded flare nut and I didn't know there are things that will not slip on a nut. Honestly I didn't know what a "vise-grip" is so I did a search on the net. It turned out to be a kind of locking-plier. So I bought a set of 2 and went home to try it. It didn't come with instructions and I never used this type of tool so it took me 2 tries to get the nut off. What a great tool!!!