HybridZ

chevy delco 100 amp alt. 3 wire vs single wire

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

anyone seen this article before ?

i am thinking of upgrading my alternator to 100 amp, to go along with the taurus electric fan on the scarab.

appears can get a 3 wire hi- amp alt from here

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/gm.html

those prices look fair ?

any thoughts ?

thanks

That article has been posted before. Looks pretty accurate. Three wires can do a much better job regulating the voltage since they can sense the voltage level at the fuse box. One wires have a voltage drop when the current goes down the supply wire, so they never really know the true voltage at the fuse box.

I can't comment on the prices for the site you listed. I am sure someone else will know. Good idea going to the bigger alternator if you are running an electric fan. Even better if you car is FI. Amazing how much power modern electronics draw.

thanks Pop N Wood.

i've been getting mixed messages regarding whether i need to upgrade the alternator or not ... most are suggesting the stock alt is fine.

i don't want to be running the batt down every time that fan comes on.

from what i read the one wire over charges the batt and the voltage drop is so high that with the taurus fan's amp draw the 3 wire 80 or 100 amp alt is the way to go.

Mike,

i had looked at the circle track alt in the summit catalog. saw that alt and wondered if it might work

took me a while to get the mounting figured out to keep the alt on the passenger side with the short water pump.

does yours mount up to the stock chevy mounts ?

i'm hoping to find something that is plug and play ... not have to cut up the existing wiring to the stock 1971 internal regulated 3 wire plug

that probably won't happen, but i'm hoping ...

thanks again, wayne

• 2 weeks later...

weird i posted a reply, but not there.

i picked up a 108 amp alt from parts plus. cost me 99 and 30 core. they will take the 63 amp as core.

the plug ended up on the top. i need to take it apart and rotate the housing so that my wiring will reach. this will of course cancel my warrantee. oh well.

alt is about 1/2 larger in diameter. as my hood disappeared in the body shop event, i had to eye ball it with a straight edge. looks like i should be fine. hood should clear it with about thickness of a match book. fingers crossed.

do you know, being as i'd prefer all this to come from the same place. MAD electric, i can get the entire set up for the taurus fan wiring from them ?

i think that is what you and Pete suggested. i'm not very lucky at finding good used parts at the wreckers. not electrical relays and such, anyway !

Wayne,

I bought 2 relay kits from MAD on their suggestion and run them in parallel to power the high speed on the Taurus fan. I also bought the Delco Alt kit and it worked perfectly. It came with all the wiring, wire ends, 2-wire plug for the Alt, diode and heat shrink tubing. I may rewire with a third relay to add a circuit for the low speed. The wiring is all copper with heavy heat and chemical resistant insulation.

I don't think the stock Hitachi alt would like the added load of Taurus fan, I can feel a pretty good draw down on my 90AMP unit. I didn't realize how small the stock unit was until I read the spec.....something like 38AMP!!