HybridZ

LS1 started, but small problem

Got the beast going today, Wow what a sound! I'll bet all my neighbors got tired of me going up and down the street.

I was so nervous that I put the aluminum foil in the freezer and took my laundry basket outside. Go figure.

Anyway it fired up on the first try. But after running for a little while the fuel pressure starts to go down (starts at 58 ). Then when you hit the throttle it drops to like 20 and falls on it's face. I guess the pre-filter is plugging up. I changed the filter on the fuel rail to no avial. I'm gonna drain it tomorrow and see what's up.

The little run I got out of it was awesome. 2nd gear is mega powerfull. The computer tuning for the TR230 cam and Absolute speed stage 2 heads lets it idle good at 900.

I tried to post a video, but it kept saying it was too big. 6.6 meg is too big?

UPDATE, got the video uploaded - LS1 Startup -

Thanks Quick, thanks Jaime. I believe that the little strainer placed before the pump is the problem. I have another monster strainer that I am going to put in this week. A thought had crossed my mind about the venting. I had blocked off the vent and thought that the tank might be creating a vacuum causing the trouble, but I opened the vent up and tried again with the same result. It was a nasty day in Atlanta so working on the car was out. Got the workbench cleaned up instead.

Got the problem figured out, pressure drop was the fuel strainer before the pump. The strainer from Earls is too small for sure. There wasn't much in it, but it kept it from working right. I asume that the pump was cavatating really bad.

I cleaned the strainer and I have 58 psi all the time now. I have a much larger strainer to put on this weekend, but for now this is good enough for my neighbors to think there's a nascar event on their block!

Ha! I can't wait to go for a serious drive!