HybridZ

half shaft ujoints

Guest 78sbc280z

Guest 78sbc280z

was wondering where i could find some spicer solid u joints for my half shafts or should i convert to a cv joint and where could i find them

Yes the u joints I think are too high and probably won't give you near the capability you seek,

Search for CV conversion or look here

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5&PHPSESSID=5d994096a42d622a737dc4cebfacb3a8

Also very expensive, but if you want to be able to apply high hp it is NOT cheap, unless you stay with stock set up and let the wheels spin, and pray alot.

Good luck

No offense, but as I said u joints won't hold for high hp.

U joints are used by many with ~<375 RWHP, a few have stayed together with more hp with other mods and spicers. BUT, If you intend to build the V8 beyond stock, then CV's or something stronger quickly become needed. U joints wear and hard launches with full traction seem to wear them out quickly.

I used U joints on half shafts for one year never broke a set with slicks, full traction and 1.6X's 60 foots. The engine had ~335 RWHP, but then put in a near stock LT1 and broke them every other visit to track going only 1.8X's 60's and 7.9's compared to 7.5X's

Recently I saw a Z go in 5's with u joints. He did use larger solid u joints but he did get there. Also other mods so alot is possible.

Once again - it all boils down to the intended use for the car. Mine is a daily driver and occaisional weekend racer with 311 rwhp and street tires. I could probably get away with an R180 and stock u-joints with a little care. For someone who is building a car planning on being a weekly weekend warrior at the dragstrip and approaching 400 rwhp running wrinkle walls then they should probably consider a solid rear axle like a Ford 9" or GM 12 bolt. It's all in how it's applied.