HybridZ

Air Compressor....

80LS1T

After reading through about 20 posts on what kind of compressor to get here's what I've learned....

1. Dont buy an oil-less compressor

2. Get atleast a 60 Gallon tank

3. Always buy the best you can

4. Get a 220V compressor

5. Get a 2 stage compressor

The only thing Im not really sure on is what kind of CFM rating I need. I will be running normal air tools like.....impact wrench, air ratchets, drills, air hammer, and soon a paint gun(not sure on what kind of paint gun though) I also read that if you go with a HVLP gun that you will need a compressor with higher a CFM rating...is that true?

Thanks guys!

Guy

I agree with all points. I made the mistake of buying what I thought would be just enought to get by. It's a 5hp oil-less Craftsman, and am not all too happy with it. My next one will definetly NOT be an oil-less. It cannot keep up with air tools. I'm not sure about the CFM vs HVLP issue, but I didn't have any issues. I beleive my DeVilbiss HVLP gun called for 40psi at the inlet. The compressor was barely able to keep up. I can't tell you what CFM it has off hand, but it's not good.

Find a couple independent compressor repair shops in your area and talk with them about used or rebuilt machines. The old saying, "They don't make 'em like they used to." is very true when it comes to air compressors. Tell the shops what you're planning to do and listen to their recommendations. Go with the recommendation that makes the most sense and with the shop that will stand behind what they sell you.

I bought a rebuilt Kellog air compressor that was built back in the 1950s. It came with a new Baldor motor, 120 gallon tank, aftercooling, a big air dryer, water purge, delivery, wiring, and installation for $1,600. They shop also gave me a one year parts and labor on site warrenty and a two year parts warrenty. I've been running this thing in my shop for 4 years without a problem and the best thing is that it runs at 1,000rpm instead of the 3,000rpms that most new compressors run at.

Almost any 2 stage compressor will work for what you want to do. HVLP uses less air than regular guns, but some can be hogs. Nevertheless, nay good compressor that you get should handle any HVLP setup with no problem - the HV par is volume of air, the LP is the pressure requirement - it's low, and a big tank can hold a lot of air at 124 or more PSI.

So don't worry and get a good deal.

I like JohnC's suggestion, and if I ever buy another compressor, will go this route.

Ok, heres what Im looking at for a compressor...

Its a Bel Air, 80 Gallon tank, 2 stage, 220V, oil type compressor, with a 5 HP motor. This compressor pushes about 15cfm.

Im looking at about $1000 for it new. What do you guys think? Is this brand ok?

Guy

Not familiar with them, but about the same money will get you a 2 stage Ingersol Rand.

FWIW, my 6hp single stage cast iron oil filled pump Campbell Hausfeld will do just about anything I want. It is 12 yars old now, so I have more than got my moneys worth. I think the Husky compressors at Home Depot are made by CH, and unless you have several thousand dollars to spend on air tools, the $500 compressor and $500 on air tools is money better spent IMO. 100 psi and 15 cfm is sufficient for almost anything.

Guest 81na ZX
I think the Husky compressors at Home Depot are made by CH, and unless you have several thousand dollars to spend on air tools, the $500 compressor and $500 on air tools is money better spent IMO. 100 psi and 15 cfm is sufficient for almost anything.

Husky's are infact made by CH. And if you have a Tractor Supply Store, "Farmhand"'s are made by CH too, but green. Otherwise identical to the Husky in every way, including price.

Well the reason I want/need something a little bigger and better is because I fix a lot of cars on the side at home so I need a compressor that will last and put out enough air to supply my air tools. I absolutly hate waiting for the compressor to catch up. It costs me money to just stand there rather than actually fix the car(I charge by the flat rate hour not how for long it takes me).

Guy