HybridZ

MSA downpipe arrived

Metro

I could have made it but decided not too. Getting the flange made is what stopped me, I don't know any machinist or good shops to go to. I also figured I'd only save about $100-120 after buying the materials I need.

Heh I've barely driven the car, so I'm not sure how much of a difference I'll feel. I'm holding off on the intercooler just so I have something to look forward too :-D

looks nice!

if anybody is interested theres a shop around the block for me that will do a flange for 20 bucks each... so that might be good for us do it your self'ers.. will be stainless and all :)

mike

i made my own flange out ofsome thick steal i had kickin around and bought a 2 1/2"hole saw. it prob took me like and hour to drill out the hole. Then i bought 2 1/2"-3" pipe and 3" madrel U prob costed me like $45 candien. i welded it up myself.. that pipe looks nice. is it 3"?

I just wish I had a welder and the ability to weld. I have gone through so much crap to try and find some one to make me the exhaust, Atleast now I know I have an option for a Down Pipe. I'll be atleast $700 into the exhaust before i am done.

Sorry to get side tracted.... I am just very fustrated.

What kind of spots do you need to grind down? Is it something around the flange, the interior, etc? I'm interested in finding out about the fitment once you get it in too ('82 280ZX)

When the flange was welded on, it wasn't on straight - it's angled forward a little bit. So there's a 1/16th chunk of the exhaust pipe metal hanging out past where the flange bolts up. Probably not like that on all of them, but mine was.

I don't have a 280zx, but I was pretty skeptical of it fitting in one. The way it curves and follows the shape of the transmission, it looks like it would be fine. Now, whether or not you could use the O2 sensor is another thing, it looks like it'd be a tight fit.

For all you guys making it and saying you could do it for like$50 - are you using stainless or just mild steel? Everywhere I looked, the cheapest I could get the stainless would be about $120 for the bends and straight pipe.

Little bit of a problem here. The flange was welded on upside down. Now, that'd be great if this motor was in a boat, but that doesn't work so well in a car. You know, things with a hood.

Wonder what MSA will do about it.. :?

Little bit of a problem here. The flange was welded on upside down. Now' date=' that'd be great if this motor was in a boat, but that doesn't work so well in a car. You know, things with a hood.

Wonder what MSA will do about it.. :?[/quote']

Ooops....

It gets even better, looking at the pictures on the website tells me they never even put these on a working car. The ones shown on their site are upside down as well.

Well I said I'd be the lemming, just too bad, I was trying to get this all wrapped up this weekend.

I had did my exhaust on my 280zx and I welded it all though not pretty as most, its welded and complete and fuctioning.

I paid 80 dollars delivered for 4 3inch mandrel bent u bends, quite long acutually and 4 dollars for one 3 inch striahgt section of pipe. That was all the pipe I needed, borrowed a freinds welder.

I had gotten my flange from James Thagard, and my cone from a company that he recommended.

Total cost to me was 20 = flange

20 = cone

80 = 4 3 inch u bends

10 = O2 bung

8 = shipping for the cone, u bends were free shipping.

total = 138.00

I made it all myself, now once I take it down again in the winter, I will use flanges at certain points to unbolt it from the car as it is a complete welded piece now.

I figure that might cost an extra 50 at tops. This is done with all mild steel though as I have no clue on how to weld stainless.

I would think though anyone with a bit of mechanical skill could easily weld theyre own system wihtout much effort given the proper tools.

It took me a day to do this and I was quite proud of the job I did, even if it isnt so pretty lol.

Like I had suspected, they were in fact all welded wrong (all 40 of them). Sound like they just assumed it would fit one way.. So anyway, they had the manufacturer make me a fixed one and had it shipped to me yesterday. So everything's gravy, my exhaust and car will be finally done this weekend :-D