HybridZ

difference between R33 & R34 RB26detts

fear_me

just like the title states!

I have been doing lots or research.... and i know that there was an oil problem with r32's but it was fixed in the r33 version. What are some other differences between the two?? they are at the same hp right??

I am trying to figure out if it is worth the exrta money to get a r34 motor over a r33 motor... i can get a r33 for 2,500

I was planning on using the stock ecu.... but reading that it is set up for 100 octane, i might have to go stand alone, which is not a problem either.

But just wondering what the differences are.

Thanks,

Andrew

where can you get it for 2500? is that just the motor?

and from what ive seen the most, the biggest difference is between the R32 and R33 versions.. and I belive they still have the oil pan pickup problem... ALSO Skylines down under say that they mostly use 96 octane, and a newer version of 98

I dont really know the details of the differences but there is a hp diff between all three. They each had a little more power than the last. Officially they are rated at the same power but with more torque than than each others predecessor. As far as I know the differences arn't major just mainly camshaft profiles, turbos and tuning. Also imo if its not a problem to go a standalone computer then I would do it. It will give you more tuning options and should give a hp increase.

That is just the motor.... that seems like a good price from what i have been reading... correct? I found a importer in canada that can do it for that price.

~Andrew

Be very carefull with those "JDM IMPORTERS" from Canada!!

If you see or hear the name OSAKA mentioned, turn and run.

They sent me a RB26 motor set for $3,000 shipped, and it was 100% thrashed. The only part I could use was the bare block (after a 1mm bore job).

Take it from someone who's been down that road.....

100 octane in japan isnt 100 octane here. There is a difference with the method of finding octane content. A 100 japanese (or european i believe) octane rating is somewhere around our 91-93 octane rating (in the states). Now if it was configured for 100 US method octane then yah i would be worrying about where to find gas. But if it is the japanese/(possibly euro) rating then dont worry about it. Search octane ratings on google im sure there is a tone of stuff.

100 octane in japan isnt 100 octane here. There is a difference with the method of finding octane content. A 100 japanese (or european i believe) octane rating is somewhere around our 91-93 octane rating (in the states). Now if it was configured for 100 US method octane then yah i would be worrying about where to find gas. But if it is the japanese/(possibly euro) rating then dont worry about it. Search octane ratings on google im sure there is a tone of stuff.

Sorry, but this is just wrong. I hear this all the time and have no idea where it comes from. The Japanese 100 octane is substantially higher than US 91-93. For instance: 100% of the 700-800 hp RB's I build are street driven, and in many cases daily drivers, running upward of 30 pounds of boost at very near the stock CR. These cars are trimmed on Japanese pump gas. 93 octane in this type of engine, and it will desrtoy itself in short order. The US bases here recently upgraded to 93 octane (RxM/2 US octane measurement) and many of the Americans thought it was Christmas, as they could pay under $2 per gallon vs. $4 per gallon off base. The rumor was that it was the same high octane stuff as off base because "someone said" the Japanese gas was actually around 93 octane. Several of my American customers with high power engines (SR, RB26, VG30, etc.) filled up with the 93 octane gas and ended up having to drive a whole tank of fuel out without boost. Lucky for them they know and understand what SEVERE knock is.

So, I put an SR20DET with air cleaner, muffler, and down pipe on the dyno with just under 1/4 tank of the 93 stuff and then filled it with the Japanese 100 stuff. There was a 20whp difference due to the computer sensing knock and pulling timing with the 93.

sorry to wander off topic but concerning the gas... if you tune the car for US 93 octante then everything should be alright? is the problem just tuning for a higher octane then using lower octane? sorry if its a dumb question i would just like to clear it up for sure

As I read in Sport Compact Car magazine, the US way of generating the octane rating is taking the average of the two testing methods R and M(R+M/2). The Japanese way is only using one of the testing method, i forgot which one but it yields a higher octane number of the two tests.

Gas from Japan will rate lower using the US averaging method in the states but it will not yield as low as 93 octane. From what I remember reading the article, I would guestimate maybe between 96 to 98 using the averaging method.

I think the article was 2 or 3 issues ago.