HybridZ

Hybrid 280Z Weight Distribution

Phantom

Toatal weight and weight distribution has been discussed add nauseum on this site but I thought I'd add one more hurl.:puke:

I just weighed my car for the third time on a certified axle scale. The first time was when it was still 'mostly' virgin - just the crash bumpers removed and an MSA Aero II ground effects package. With 3/4 tank of gas it weighed 1400 lbs on each end - 2800 total. I weighed it once again right after the LS1 / T56 conversion and it had gained a net of 30 lbs - all on the tail. Since then I've added front and rear strut tower braces, an Autopower 4-pt roll bar, completely redone the interior and upgraded the sound system plus removed the spare tire & jack since the also new disk brakes are too large for the wheel.

With a full tank of gas the car now weighs 3,000 lbs even - 1440 on the nose and 1560 on the tail Obviously the 17 gallons of gasoline contributes to the rear bias.

Here is one additional item of interest. With me in the car it weighed 3,240 lbs - 1500 on the nose and 1740 on the tail. 3/4 of the drivers weight goes to the rear wheel loading. For you guys looking for that perfect 50/50 you might want to forget about moving the battery - mine is in the stock position in the engine bay. In the meantime I'm going to have to hook up with the local Porsche club and learn how they drive 911's.

John is absolutely right. Plus - the V8 sits further aft than the L28 so more of it's weight is carried by the rear axle than the L28. Then add in all the interior sound proofing - foam in the back fenders, dynamat everywhere, sound absorbing material, heavy, thick carpet plus a 10" subwoofer in a heavy, ported custom enclosure behind the drivers side rear wheel well, an amplifier, capacitor, tape deck, and cross-overs all installed close to the rear axle the weight just kept on shifting. More than removing the spare tire, jack & inflating bottle could offset.

Let's just say it's the exact opposite of where everyone thinks a V8 Z car will end up. I don't know how many times I've been asked if I had to change the spring rates in the front. I personnally was surprised, though, that the car had gotten as heavy on the tail as it has. It started with a 50/50 weight distribution with no driver and 3/4 tank of gas. Now it's at 48/52 with no driver and full tank and 46/54 with driver. Thus my comment about learning how 911 drivers drive. I've got to change my mind set a bit.:)

Thus my comment about learning how 911 drivers drive. I've got to change my mind set a bit.

Shouldn't really. Remember, the issue with 911s is not the weight distribution, its yaw inertia (polar moment). Since your 240z has the weight between the axles your car has a low yaw inertia which is opposite of the 911 with its engine behind the rear axle.

Well, the weight of the car has increased by about 170 lbs. and 110 of that is on the rear wheels. (not including driver weight) I'm assuming the weight gain came from the roll bar which is mounted above and barely forward of the rear axle, from the stereo amplifier which is mounted above the rear axle, from the CD changer, capacitor and crossovers that are mounted slightly above and slightly forwrd of the rear axle, from the rear strut tower brace which is located directly above the rear axle, from the foamed rear fenders that are directly behind the rear axle and from the extra 1/4 tank of gas included in this weight that is behind the rear axle.

Sure the engine has moved back pretty much behind the front axle which helps the PMOI but I've added a lot of stuff near and behind the rear axle that hurts it. True?

• 6 years later...

You could switch to a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure (I could build you a tiny lightweight one that would outperform anything you've heard)locate it just behind the seats and move the amp and other gear to under the seats or dash, one doesn't really need (or want) rear speakers in a two seat car, so you could get rid of those an in lieu of them install super lightweight, horn loaded, super efficient speakers in front(I also have a lightweight fantastic design for these).

I keep hearing conflicting reports about LS weight. One source said the block alone was 450lbs(the quoted weight of the L6s) and others claim that's the entire engine. Based on this I've decided on a L28ET build, but if you've actually weighed your car with both configurations that can't be the case. I am seriously reconsidering my options. I've just realized how old this post is, who knows if you even still have the same car.

3/4 of the drivers weight goes to the rear wheel loading[/u]. For you guys looking for that perfect 50/50 you might want to forget about moving the battery - mine is in the stock position in the engine bay. In the meantime I'm going to have to hook up with the local Porsche club and learn how they drive 911's.

Does this mean that by getting fatter over the 20 years I've owned this car, it has become better just from all the donuts I eat? Perhaps that is why the fat as_ who owned the car before me broke all the drivers seat mounts out! He was just trying to improve his understeer tendencies!