HybridZ

My *** is dragging

So finaly today after 6 months FINISHED My SBC-454 Stroker Swap! I AM IN LOVE! it sounds like a MONSTER! Except my *** drags all over the floor, I tried putting air shocks in back and my *** still drags on the ground, I cant seem to get it to stay up springs are newer (like maybe 1 year) and For now I am only filling it to 1/4 tank to keep it with some ground clearance... but its kinda silly.. dose a SBC add that much weight? did I do ti wrong I used the JTR kit.... maybe i mounted the Tranny brace to far back and now have alot more weight in the rear then ia m suposta (this is a good thing tho isnt it) I might go buy a set ot 16s or 18s for the rear to give it mroe clearance untill i can afford a set of air bags.. or will taller or stiffer springs help me out?

You did something wrong. My 383 stroker had no adverse issues with weight. I was also using an extremely heavy T56 Tranny. My suspension in the rear was MSA springs and Koni struts...And I had the battery in the rear. Didn't even have coil overs at the time.

Mike

meh, proformance I dont know 1/4 yet but i am guessing mid to low 10s got to break the engine in first befor we redline her... no idea on spring rate, its not the actual body or frame of that car that has no clearance in the exhaust and other stuff under the car, if i wasnt in california i would RUN WITHOUT ANY!!!!!!!!!! But my *** is still ALOT lower then it usta be pre swap Guessing 4-6 Inches lower, the top of the trunk area was at my waist prior to swap, post swap the top is at mid to upper thigh on me........

posted by 240Zr

Except my *** drags all over the floor, I tried putting air shocks in back and my *** still drags on the ground,

Could you please post a pic of the air shocks for a 240Z? I'm really interested in those but can't find any, not sure what they look like.

maybe i mounted the Tranny brace to far back and now have alot more weight in the rear then ia m suposta (this is a good thing tho isnt it)

I think this is your problem. Try moving the mount forward until you get the ride height you desire. Can't have a ***dragging Z car.

Thanks for the pics-

John

Well, it depends. The location of the tranny brace has a huge impact on the weight distribution of the car. At least two members I know of are working on computer controlled pneumatically operated tranny braces to vary the weight distribution based on how quickly the car is accelerating. Neither of them will post about it though. Maybe you could develop one to work with the air shocks, that would be a killer setup.

Any pics of the air shocks?

John

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you get at most a couple of inches of fore aft movement of the engine and tranny before you butt up against the firewall. Can't believe you got the engine far enough back to actually overwhelm the rear suspension. Look at Phantom's recent thread on his weight distribution. A stock Z is what, 51-49? Even with a 40-60 split on a 3000# 280 you are only talking about at most an extra 300 some pounds on the rear wheels. About what you would expect with a passenger and some scuba gear in the rear hatch.

You have some other problems.

Just relocate the tranny brace forward, that will take care of it.

How about some details on the 454 SBC buildup? Stock block or after market? Bore & stroke? What kind of pistons? Rod length? Wrist pin height? Any special stuff on the ring lands, buttons, etc.? Heads, cam?

Any pics from during the buildup?

John