HybridZ

Dyno Sheet for LS1 240Z Project: SIlver Bullet

The pics are not the best but I don't have a scanner so here they are. This is a stock 2002 Camaro SS LS1 motor with 1 3/4" Sanderson (JTR) Headers and JTR Cold Air intake. No other tuning has been done yet.

Top line is Torque and bottom line is HP.

Z_Convention_021.jpg

317 HP 365 Torque.

They had me guess at the HP and Torque before the runs and I guessed 300HP at 5250rpms and 325 torque at 4000rpms.

I was way off on the torque.

They are sending me all the data so I can use it to tune it some. Should be able to get 325HP from it.

This is a great motor to swap into a Z. I love it.

David,

Very nice numbers. Compare them to my dyno run in my album. The interesting thing is that our HP figures are close - I had 311 but at 5,200 rather than 5,000 RPM and that was with the JCI 1 1/2" headers to a Y into a single 2 1/2" exhaust.

The fascinating thing though is your 365 lb-ft of torque vs my 326 - WOW! The curves are very similar but mine is way lower.

I guess I have to believe those bigger headers and duals are affecting torque more than HP? I have a '98 engine but the ECM is reprogrammed to 01/02 parameters.

Another thought - your head design is different than mine isn't it? Also, do you have the LS6 intake manifold?

David' date='

Very nice numbers. Compare them to my dyno run in my album. The interesting thing is that our HP figures are close - I had 311 but at 5,200 rather than 5,000 RPM and that was with the JCI 1 1/2" headers to a Y into a single 2 1/2" exhaust.

The fascinating thing though is your 365 lb-ft of torque vs my 326 - WOW! The curves are very similar but mine is way lower.

I guess I have to believe those bigger headers and duals are affecting torque more than HP? I have a '98 engine but the ECM is reprogrammed to 01/02 parameters.[/quote']

Bill,

I think the intake manifold is a big factor here. The 98 motor had the older style intake and mine has the LS6 intake. The cold air intake in front of the radiator vs. the one in the engine bay too. My exhaust is 2 1/2" duals into a Y pipe to a 3" single.

Still great numbers for both of us. And a great swap for any Z.

Guest the_dj

That's a monster torque curve :shock:

It does seem to die off a bit early though, I wonder why?? :icon8:

Edit: Yeah, I just looked at my dyno graph. My torque curve is within 10ft-lbs of peak from 5000-5500 rpm. It's at 90+% of peak from 3500-6600rpm. Weird

The LS6 intake is only good for a baseline change of 6-8HP, based on the tuning I've seen on LS1Tech.com, Corvetteforum.com and my tuner, Jeff Creech at Carolina Automasters down in Durham.

David, I think it is your exhaust setup. I gained a BUNCH of torque and HP from my setup on the vette, which was a 1999 motor. With the ported throttlebody and LS6 intake, the HP gains were unnoticable...296HP and 301#ftl of torque. But when I put the LGM headers and 3 inch dual exhaust on, and Jeff did the custom PCM tuning things picked up to 335HP and 353#ft. of torque. My torque curve jumped to almost 300#ft. of torque off idle and was flat across the board at above 350#ft. from 2000RPM tro 4400RPM and then fell off above 5000RPMs... Jeff has a couple of road race programs he uses that work well.

I should have my stage 2 heads/ cam setup running this weekend. I'll be able to tell you guys within a month what it is running #s wise.

Mike

So I could say the 6 HP difference is primarily the LS6 intake but the Torque difference is primarily the larger exhaust? I'm hoping to get the car on a dyno again this coming weekend and find out if the 2 1/2" duals back to the muffler has really made a difference.

So I could say the 6 HP difference is primarily the LS6 intake but the Torque difference is primarily the larger exhaust? I'm hoping to get the car on a dyno again this coming weekend and find out if the 2 1/2" duals back to the muffler has really made a difference.

Bill,

I think the Cold Air Intake might add a little too. Hurry up and get that thing to a dyno.

Actually it is the longer primary tubes AND the exhaust. One of the big arguements over on LS1tech.com is over the dual vs. Y-pipe configuration on the F body cars... Not really sure who is right or wrong. But I do know that my LGM full length headers and dual 3inch exhaust were worth about 40HP and 50#ft of torque at the wheels. :shock:

Mike

Yeah - but with long-tube headers I have a choice of a 4WD ride height or never clearing a speed bump so that lets them out.

I suppose I could conceivable get to 3" diameter duals but they will come when I go to 1 3/4" primaries on the headers instead of 1 1/2" and that will probably be when I install an LS2 derivative motor - which might happen in about 8 years when I pass 100,000 on this motor!:toetap05:

Lots of compromises in this install.