HybridZ

Went searching for Chicago tools...

CruxGNZ

In the last harbor frieght catalog I spotted a decent wet saw for cutting tile made by Chicago. So, I wanted to find out who Chicago tools were. I have a very nice MK Diamond wet saw, but my buddy keeps borrowing mine and those diamond blades (the good ones) aren't cheap. I was going to try and persuade him to buy a Chicago brand wet saw, but now I'm not sure, because they are "poorly made China crap" or so I'm told.

While looking for Chicago tools info I came across this guy that is ready to blame anyone because his wife is stupid. Everyone knows that if you have long hair and it could get in the way, you should put it up or put a hat on or do something with it!

"My wife was using this stupid thing today, and her hair got caught in the vent holes for the motor, her hair got wound up in the motor, and because the switch is just an on/off switch (Really a stupid idea for a power tool!!) the cutout tool slammed in to her face and she has got a nasty bruise on her cheek. If this is the way Chicago Power Tools designs their merchandise, then I don't want anything to do with this company. Poorly designed tool, one that their only concern was to make money, because it surely wasn't designed around safety. I am trying to find their website to let them know about this oversight and stumbled across this one...BE CAREFUL!!!"

I have just one web site for this guy and his stupid wife right here .

Just thought you guys would get a kick out of it.

!M!

Well, so far I'm 50/50 with Chicago tools. I did a little more searching and came up with the same thing... you get what you pay for. For a couple of hundred bucks more, I can sell my buddy on a small MK Diamond wet saw, it's small, but it will suit him well. I'm not knocking Chicago, for I've never tried that brand before. From what I understand, Chicago is the equivalent of Sears or Black and Decker (not the best, but they work). I deal with all sorts of power tools and the little guys that aren't built well tend not to last very long under my use, so I buy better brands that I have used over the years and have stood up to A LOT of punishment. The only thing I would hate is to have my buddy say to someone, "yeah, my buddy that builds houses for a living sold me on this piece of @%!$, shows what he knows." I never had anyone bad mouth my advice or had any callbacks on any work that I have done and am damn proud of that. It's the right tools that make your work look better and get done faster. Checking on Chicago tools is just my way of not giving out bad advice. But like I said, right now I'm 50/50 with them. Just out of mild curiousity, has anyone purchased a Chicago wet saw? Also, does anyone have anything else to say about Chicago tools?

!M!

Chicago Electric is basically a Harbor Freight brand. It is assembled overseas somewhere and is cheap. The are NOT related to Chicago Pneumatic, but IMO, they are trying to take advantage of that name recognition. For a DIY user doing just one house, they are probably more than sufficient. I borrowed one of the little Harbor Freight wet cut saws (The $50 one) and it makes pretty good cuts, but the blade was not very high quality. It was worth $50,however. I did not use it to make crosscuts, but just trim cuts, corners, etc. I use a manual scribe cutter for full tile cross cuts, which ALSO cost $50. As noted, if your buddy keeps borrowing your MK saw, he needs a better one. Porter Cable also makes a decent wet cut saw. Check out Tool Crib of the North, AKA Amazon.com (I've been doing business with them since before they were affiliated with Amazon, I've been quite happy.) I done enough tile that my next job I'm gonig to $ up the cash for either the MK or Porter Cable saws.

Chicago Electric and Central Machinery are specific Harbor Frieght trade names for a couple Chinese equipment manufacturers. These exact same products are sold under different trade names by Northern Tool, Enco, etc.

As with anything, you get what you pay for.

I am a strong advocate of quality tools. BUT I bought Harbor Freight's 17 inch drill press and I love it. It is better quality than either the Sears or Delta drill presses and was a good $100 less.

Can't say anything good or bad about any of their other power tools because I haven't had the guts to buy one sight unseen.

I have purchased several tools from harbor freight,cutoff saw,small sheet metal brake ,bead roller,misl.clamps etc..I would not recomend these for full time production work, but for hobiest level work they offer great value.I will buy cutoff blade replacements localy as theirs are not very good. Tom

Well, I think I'm going to sway my buddy to a MK Diamond wet saw. It's a little more than he wanted to spend, but it will last with no problems.

I can't help but to laugh when I read about the guy talking about his wifes experience with the Chicago tool. "My wife was using this stupid thing today, and her hair got caught in the vent holes for the motor, her hair got wound up in the motor, and because the switch is just an on/off switch (Really a stupid idea for a power tool!!)" --as opposed to what an off/off switch bonk.gif ? Just the mental picture of this little tool catching her hair and zipping up and hitting her in the face is just funny as heck :D !

Mike,

What do you charge for tile work down in Texas? Just curious. Up here I charge $8-$20 a sq. ft. for labor (including prep work) depending on the type of tile used (ceramic, marble, ect.) and the pattern (if any) involved. By the way my MK saw has had NO problems in the 12 years that I've had it. I highly recomend them. I've never used a Porter Cable wet saw though.

I usually charge between $5 and $8 sq ft. I'm just a hobbyist, so to speak, so usually doing small cash jobs for friends. Most I ever did was 300 sq ft. A lot of people think I am too expensive, but once they get the bill totaling removal, prep, and finishing, I would have bee a LOT cheaper. :D