HybridZ

How much tire for warmed over LT1 T56

I have probably read 70% of the post on this site, but I dont recall too many people reporting how well their wheel tire combo worked for traction. Usualy people mention looks and ride quality.

I have 225/50 15"s with a quaiffe LSD, the addtion of the LSD made a ridiculous situation tollerable, but with a mild LT1 turning the wheels I have a huge traction problem.

I love the look of wide 16" wheels but tire choice is poor, 17s look great but usualy only in narrower sizes that fit under the stock arches to my eye.

(for my ideas on kinda cool looking see http://www.holmesfamily.ws/240zideas/index.html)

Can anyone with largeish tire/wheel combo comment - maybe you see your car on my link, if so mail me and I can caption it correctly with wheel/tire size .

Thanks Mike

I was running 245/45-16 Falkens, and although I could light them up at will, traction was very good. I could take off pretty hard if I feathered the clutch a bit (aka didn't dump it) with no wheelspin at all.

My wheels are 16 x 8 Centerlines with 5" BS (requires coilovers) and no flares needed (these are F/S BTW).

Tim

I've got 245 40 17 on the rear. Lt-1 with heads and cam. These are Kohomos for the track only. I can light them up in first or second. Just accept it, your tires are doomed. :)

Edit... All under the stock arches with coil overs

I have 225/45-17's which are widest tires recommended for a 7" wide wheel. If you're running coilovers you can run a little wider wheel and tires (and still fit under the stock fenders). If you look at the picture below you can see that the tires just fit within the stock arches (no rolled lip). The pictures you have cover a wide variety of wheel types and sizes. One of the big decisions you have to make is determining if your want flares or not, and if so how big.

rear.JPG

Thanks for the input.

I figured that 1st will always require a lot of care but I had hoped that some one would have found some serious grip with the bigger tires.

I have problem in 3rd if it is damp to the point that a "little squeze" to pass traffic can become a little sideways, it is alarmingly easy.

Mike

• 3 months later...

Running LS1 with T56 & 3.70:1 LSD on 215/55-16 tires.

First gear totally overwhelms the tires and second will also break them loose pretty easily. 3rd will walk the car sideways on slick streets. You'll never get enough tire to not have to learn to drive the car. THat is why newer cars have traction control. In a Z that function is performed by the drivers right foot.:twisted: