HybridZ

Spal cooling fan & thermostat install

heavy85

I posted this a while back on the 6 cyl forum but didn't get much feedback so I am trying again over here. So ...

Anyone got any pictures or advice how to mount a 16" Spal fan to the stock z radiator. I've got some ideas just wanted to see what others had already done.

Also, any suggestions where to install the thermostat switch that controls the fan (I'm using the Spal thermostatic relay to control it)? I dont have any extra holes in the engine to screw it into and it's kind of big (3/8 NPT).

Thanks

Cameron

I attached two 1" x .125" pieces of aluminum bar stock across the radiator where the shroud would have been attached, then bolted the fan mounts onto the aluminum.

As far as the thermostat goes I'm using the thermostat from a 240SX. The 240SX lower radiator hose has a metal sleeve in it, and the thermostat goes into the metal sleeve (kind of like when people put their radiator cap on the upper hose if you're familiar with that). I'm sure you could do something similar to get yours mounted into the lower hose.

I think quite a few of the pipe threads in a Z are NPT BTW. My brother in law wanted to block off one of his emissions fittings and we went to the hardware store and found a NPT pipe plug that fit right in.

That's exactly where I was going with the mounting - started off splitting the pieces instead of going all the way across but quickly realized that didn't support the plastic fan mounts enough so am on the way to making bars that go all the way across the radiator.

I'm not familiar with that style of thermostat - you got any pictures by any chance and where could I get my hands on one of these?

And finally, although I realize they are metric threads on the engine I have used an NPT tee when I added an oil pressure idiot light so I know they are close enough to work. There is actually one plug that is the right size (or at least the close enough metric equivalent) on the driver side towards the rear of the block but that's under the header so I'm worried it's too hot.

Cameron

I should have said temp sensor not thermostat, sorry. It is a 100º Celsius switch that turns the fan on. It is the same temp sensor used in all late 80s early 90s Nissans IIRC. I know for sure the Maxima uses them also.

Easy way to get ahold of one is pull a lower rad hose from a 240SX.