HybridZ

JDM SR20DET stock rebuild necessary?

Lewis Maudlin

OK, I have most of the parts except the engine. I have been waiting for Vildini to get one in stock. Those guys proposed:

"a stock rebuild on one of the motors for an extra $1000 would include new stock oem headgasket, new piston rings, new rod bearings and new main bearings and it would be basically a new engine again."

Does anyone think this should be necessary? I would hate to have to pull the engine and have it rebuilt after it is installed. However, these JDM engines are supposed to be relatively low mileage. I can't imagine that they would need a rebuild. Even the high mileage ones that I have seen have had 80-90k miles. I have never had an import that needed rebuilt. Much less with that few miles? Anyone think yes or no?

Japan has some funny laws when it comes to inspection, such as engine after 30k miles requiring lot of maintenance and rebuilds, even thought the motors are in perfectly fine shape.

this is why we get a huge surplus of low mileage motors.

The trick is, you never know what the condition of the motor is, so it's kind of like playing russian roulette

Although yes, it's playing russian roulette, the odds are in your favor quite a bit. Most of the motors being shipped out of japan are being shipped out because the older a car gets the more likelly that it'll be cheeper to get a new engine than rebuilding the old one, due to labor costs and where the car is located in japan. So although the motor might have been rebuilt before, odds are it was just pulled out becuase a brand new oem one was cheeper for the owner.

But just as aux said, you never really DO know the condition of the motor. But you also have to consider other factors. Like what could be done to thrash the motor? Most honda motors have rev limiters and don't have a problem with oil starvation, so one of the few things that could ever be wrong with it is the break in process. So there are things like that to consider as well.