HybridZ

coil overs, camber plates, Koni strut inserts

Hello group:

I just finished my first major improvment on my Z. I installed coil over springs, Koni strut inserts, camber plates front and rear and energy suspension bushings. I just drove the car for the first time this afternoon. It rides very well for an eye ball alignment. I decided to try the new Koni inserts, the 8610 1437 Race. The front springs are 200 lbs. the rears are 225 lbs. The ride is firm, you feel every pebble in the road with no rubber in the strut mounts, but you only hear larger bumps. The ride is very planted, very firm but stable.

I'd like to thank the whole forum group membership for all your help. I read hundreds of old threads which helped me pick the components and spring rates and such. Thanks all of you!!!

I will try to post a picture at work tommorow

Ok, I shrank the file down so it would be easier to view on our forum. Hope everyone can see, it is a before and after shot of the fronts. I have more of the struts mounted on the car. Will upload soon.

JohnC, my intention is to do exactly that, but I still must replace/rebuild engine and LSD, hopefully by end of this year and 2 driving schools as per current SCCA licensing requirments, hopfully early 06. So it might be awhile.

What is the height of your coil over springs. They look 12 to 14 inches ???? For members sourcing parts ....Here is a website with maybe the best bargains in coilover parts .. The adjustable sleeves in 2.170 inch size will fit the 280 Z (2.166") http://www.a1racing.com/index.asp?PageAction=ADVSEARCH&Page=1&txtSearchAllWords=&txtSearchExactPhrase=coil+over+sleeve&txtSearchWithOneOfTheWords=&txtSearchWithoutTheWords=&lngLookinCategoryID=0&txtSortOrder=1&intResults=50&btnSearch=Search&AdvSearchAction=GOFETCH

12 inches ..great! Were your struts sectioned???? I can eyeball your set-up to visually locate the spring perch for my 12 inch QA1 progressive coilovers. I have done 10 inches but decided without the chance of using modern FWD wheels on a classic GTO 250 there was no need for 10 inch. I plan to section my struts http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/album?.dir=/8223&urlhint=actn,ren%3as,1%3af,0

Trouble:

The struts are not sectioned although the strut inserts are made to allow it. I did not have time or the proper equipment to do it and I really planned on setting the suspension up at the stock ride hieght in the beginning. I wanted to see how it handled before screwing with the geometry. I placed the perches where ground control told me to in the instructions, which was about the only information provided by the instructions. In the back it said to place them 8 inches above the cast section. In the front they were to be placed 5 inches above the cast section as per the instructions. Well I followed that information and with the adjusters wound all the way to the top of their travel the car sits about an inch and a half lower then stock. That was for a 280Z. For a 240 they suggest 10" free length spings and 7" in back, 5" in front. The car may sit lower because of the camber plates being installed instead of the big rubber stock mounts. These same instructions clearly show the original ones being reinstalled, in fact it says 'stock upper mount' although when I called the first time the salesman said 'you have to use our camber plates with our coil over kits', which I didn't really believe but went along with because I planned to buy them anyhow. I guess now what I'll do is make some spacers to fit between the perches and the spings to raise it up to stock.

Now that I've done this modification to the car, I have a few things I'm curious about. After having had all the suspension pieces apart and having replaced all those bushings with the urathane ones, my question is this: Where do the bushing pivot? In other words, do the bushings pivot in their sleeves or do the inner sleeves pivot on the bolts? I hope I'm asking this in a way people can understand what I'm asking. The stock ones, the inner sleeves were in many cases frozen to the bolts, and the stock bushings are bonded to the inner and outer sleeves, so the pivoting came from the actual twisting of the stock rubber bushing. Now the new urathane ones obviously don't twist any at all and the bushings seem to pivot between the inner sleeve and the bolt.

Another thing about the urathane bushing kit that kind of was wierd to me was that the new inner rear control arm bushing sleeves were a tad longer then the stock ones. So when you tighten the bolt, it is going to lock that inner sleeve in place. Then the outer bushing surface is clamped by the mount, so where does it pivot?

I hope everyone can follow what I'm asking. I tried to set the suspension up to work as smoothly as possible. I read with interest the other thread called 'acceptable + size offset' (sorry, don't know how to make link) where JohnC mentions 'stiction'. I've heard of that term before and I guess basically knew I wanted things as smooth as possible even though I didn't put that term to it.

JohnC, if you read this thread, is the 280Z as bad as the 240 about this stiction and what if anything can be done to reduce it within the confines of stock components and allowable mods consistent with SCCA IT rules.

Now that I've done this modification to the car, I have a few things I'm curious about. After having had all the suspension pieces apart and having replaced all those bushings with the urathane ones, my question is this: Where do the bushing pivot? In other words, do the bushings pivot in their sleeves or do the inner sleeves pivot on the bolts?

As you mentioned the stock rubber rotates the bushing in torsion and is a relatively low friction bushing. Poly bushing rotate on the metal tube that is rigidly clamped in place.

Cary

What is the height of your coil over springs. They look 12 to 14 inches ???? For members sourcing parts ....Here is a website with maybe the best bargains in coilover parts .. The adjustable sleeves in 2.170 inch size will fit the 280 Z (2.166") http://www.a1racing.com/index.asp?PageAction=ADVSEARCH&Page=1&txtSearchAllWords=&txtSearchExactPhrase=coil+over+sleeve&txtSearchWithOneOfTheWords=&txtSearchWithoutTheWords=&lngLookinCategoryID=0&txtSortOrder=1&intResults=50&btnSearch=Search&AdvSearchAction=GOFETCH

What year 280Z? My 76 measures 2.185 on the front strut. Aside from MM and GC, Arizona, Beta, et.al. selling coilover kits, I have not found a supplier that sells just the sleeves or adjuster nuts to fit this diameter.