HybridZ

Tarus fan and weird part

Owen

Damnit! I was off by 0.8L! Oh well, it's a two speed so I'm gonna try it.

Hanns,

The turbo is from a Mazda 13B turbo setup I bought. I've given up on the 3 rotor engine and will go with the two rotor.

Too bad I can't afford Auxillary's setup that he's selling.

Owen

The turbo is from a Mazda 13B turbo setup I bought. I've given up on the 3 rotor engine and will go with the two rotor...Too bad I can't afford Auxillary's setup that he's selling.

Owen

This is for another Z car or your current one?? Don't you have a burly LT1??

As an aside note, that looks different then the Taurus fan I picked up.

Davy

Owen,

I got a couple Taurus fans from my local wreckers, and one of the fans had that "module" on it. I went to a Ford dealership and inquired about it and the parts guy had never seen one, and even though the part number was on it he could not retrieve any information on it. He talked to one of the mechanics and was told that it was a recall item. Not sure why you'd have them in California, but up here they had problems with snow and slush in the winter time and the fans would jam and fry them up, so that module was designed and installed to protect the fan motor.

Hope this helps

module was a recall for overheated fan wiring.those are circuit breakers like the breakers used on power windows.i dont get the big idea on taurus fans even though i work as a ford tech.they suck a lot of amps.newer cars have 100+ amp alternators.if you get a spal fan spec sheet you can find a unit that pulls 1/2 the amps and still makes good cfm rating.most rear wheel drive cars use a fan clutch and a belt driven fan.the fan freewheels most of the time anyway.

module was a recall for overheated fan wiring.those are circuit breakers like the breakers used on power windows.i dont get the big idea on taurus fans even though i work as a ford tech.they suck a lot of amps.newer cars have 100+ amp alternators.if you get a spal fan spec sheet you can find a unit that pulls 1/2 the amps and still makes good cfm rating.most rear wheel drive cars use a fan clutch and a belt driven fan.the fan freewheels most of the time anyway.

thanks! i'll have plenty of juice from the amps, and i know there's ones out there that pull less, but you can't beat $12 each at a junkyard!

yeah, my Z32 has the fan clutch setup, ive heard it pulls a helluva lot of air, just never liked the idea of it though...seems like "old tech", but i've never had a problem with it.

owen

if i had a rear wheel drive car with a good engine driven fan and the car had a/c and was used in traffic i wouldnt switch to electric fan..on my z when a/c is used the fan clutch will lock up 90+ degrees at stop lights.then it makes some noise and goes away.but since i work on cars for a living its not a hobby anymore and second guessing oem engineering isnt the way i spend my time off.

My v8z wasn't a daily and the longest I've driven it was a little over two hours away. The longest I've been stuck in traffic was 1 and a half hours. I was using the Black Magic fan and had no problems but figured a two speed would be better.

I picked up to fans at the JY, one for the Z32, but will most likely never get around to it. If it ain't broke...

Owen

:twak: c'mon... Electric is the way to go, get a felx-a-lite 180 extreme, totally works well.

Owen,

I agree with Tim, the two speed units were on the 3.8L; but, yours appears to be the right one (3 wires), so I would guess that the extra 'relays/fuses/?' were because it was some sort of retrofit where it didn't originally exist on the 3.0s.

The 'big deal' on the Taurus fans for those of you who are considering options is that they had a pretty significant cfm rating on the air that they pulled. Super engineered; HOWEVER, they do pull alot of amps (discussed alot on this forum). ALSO, they are relatively inexpensive and plentiful, as compared to some $200+ Flex-A-Lite or Spal unit.