HybridZ

Gear sets

WEBEZEEed

Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this? Are you fixing a transmission? The ZX tranny has very uniform spacing between the gears. If you put in the shorter Z 3rd you'd have... well... a short 3rd... plus then you'd have a big 3-4 gap.

Have you played with this yet? http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/transmission.html

Out of curiosity' date=' why do you want to do this? Are you fixing a transmission? The ZX tranny has very uniform spacing between the gears. If you put in the shorter Z 3rd you'd have... well... a short 3rd... plus then you'd have a big 3-4 gap.

Have you played with this yet? http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/transmission.html[/quote']

Agreed, you'd be taking a step back.

:) That is a nice link.... thanks. This may be a long answer to your question JM. As of now my 73 is stock (engine wise) I have changed to 71 round tops, crane 3000 Ign.and crane coil, Headers with a 2.5 inch exhaust and removed the smog tid bits, single groove crank pully and Amsoil in the rear & tranny. To me the car runs great! but I am comparing it to my own memory as I once owned one just like it 31 years ago and it did not run this good. I have only had this one running since early June. My memory reminds me of the huge gap between 2nd & 3rd. I have looked at the ratios of the 5 speed and the spacing is better, but in studying them it doesn't seem enough, but I have not experienced one first hand and I am most likely wrong. I have no intentions of drag racing the car.Just finding a straight stretch and letting her RIP thru 3rd is cool enough for me,any more than that and your pushing a 100. I'm almost 52 and 90 or so is fast enough for me and the officials ( I am very wary of when and how I do this) so I'm thinking the GAP would be better between 3rd & 4th since I am not planning on abusing the last 2 gears like the first 3. BTW the gap does not seem quite as bad with this car, I'm sure it's because it has more pep. .... I do appreciate all your comments,questions,suggestions, or what ever.

Around here 240s are few and far between and I have not ridden in another 240. The car really feels good, I am very pleased. 174000mi. and not a puff of smoke ,and 151-156 psi on all 6. I wish 1st & 2nd were a little taller cause they seem to go by quick. Now when I first got it going I had a problem with the rear end so I found one here to get by on ,only it was a 3.54. Third gear was quite nice but 1st and 2nd went by really fast. It seemed just when you got going you had to shift and shift again.I have been thinking along the lines of a close ratio 5 speed with a 3.7 If I remember correctly that gives a little taller 1st and 2nd and a shorter 3rd and 4th and of course 5th for the hiway.Another factor in my thinking along these lines ( which I haven't mentioned) is I have a 280 motor I'm planning on building in the next 18 months. I have a p90 head and a maxima flywheel so far.With a little mild head work, a little more compression, a mild cam and a 2.9 bore ......I am hoping that gearing will fit right in.What do you think ? maybe 180-190 to the wheels. :)

I have a zx 5 speed and a 3.9 diff with 205/60/14's, revved to 6500 in third is around 85 so if you have the proper diameter tires on yours, you would hit right around 90 with the same diff and tranny. I really prefer the zx 5 speed to the 4 speed I had before. the 2-3 shift killed the acceleration, to get the rpm right for the shift I really had to wind it out in 2nd, now I stay in the power band. I think you would like the zx trans.