HybridZ

What is this Hybrid worth?

Looks like a pretty nice set up as is. Trouble is he spent the majority of the ad describing the engine and none on the condition of the body. In the Q&A he says "no rust" and talks about how much the engine is worth. If it is really no rust, than the condition of the engine is almost inconsequential. With only a $1000 reserves it means either a) he has no idea what the thing is worth or B) there is something seriously wrong that he is not telling anyone about.

If it is all he says (new interior, dash cap, no rust, straight body and only faded paint) then I would gladly pay $5K for it. It would be a steal at anything less. IF it is all he says it is.

Of course, I would never buy a car sight unseen. Especially one with NOS.

A straight, clean, rust free body is worth where it's at now. I don't think he knows a lot about the car. His add says "domed 9.2 comp pistons, but will throw in flat top high compression pistons". No way that's right. Look the body over closely and then decide.

John

I'm about to the point now where I'm just going to wait until we move into our new house with my shop and just start from scratch. I have this nice 88 Jeep Wrangler with a 350TPI/700R4 that I've been looking to sell or trade for a nice hybrid. I'm kinda thinking now that I may pull the 350 and TPI system for use in a Z (probably ditch the heads for some aluminum units) and build out a trick 4.3 for the Jeep. The Jeep really doesn't need a V8 and the 4.3 would help knock the weight down.... thereby freeing up the TPI for a Z.

I'll probably leave the 700R4 in the Jeep and just pickup another one for the Z.

assume the engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Texas cars usually have less rust than cars from northern states. However,,, A NOS engine driven for 'several years' is most likely shot. It may not be, but if you assume the worst you will not pay more than its worth. Of course a leak down test would clear up the mystery.

BTY, You cant get hurt for around $5K imo. The car looks like it has lots of decent parts especially the interior. Hope this helps.

Ferd

I'd just be real sure it is the car you want... THe comments above are good sound advice... The only ray of hope I'd add is that some folks define "Driven Hard" at a less hard level than I. He may have used the NOS button once per month, or once per hour, who knows. For $3500-4000 I'd buy it because the hard part has been done.

Swapping in another tranny means you'd want to pull the motor anyway, and would give you a chance to drop the pan and inspect the bearings if nothing else.

Mike