HybridZ

240 vs 280 drums. Differences?

It has been a LONG time since I've had Z drums apart. My brother-in-law has a 240 that's bone stock and he needs wheel cylinders. It seems 280 wheel cylinders are about 1/2 the price of the 240 stuff. So the question is does the 280 stuff fit on a 240. I remember that the 240 has a single piston wheel cylinder and the 280 has a dual piston. Can you just bolt them in, or is there some other parts that need to be swapped out as well (hardware, shoes, etc)?

Jon

It has been a LONG time since I've had Z drums apart. My brother-in-law has a 240 that's bone stock and he needs wheel cylinders. It seems 280 wheel cylinders are about 1/2 the price of the 240 stuff. So the question is does the 280 stuff fit on a 240. I remember that the 240 has a single piston wheel cylinder and the 280 has a dual piston. Can you just bolt them in, or is there some other parts that need to be swapped out as well (hardware, shoes, etc)?

Helped a friend with this just this past weekend. And I managed to dig out some 240 stuff I had to take a look at tonight. They won't work. At least what I have would require a different backing plate. And to change that won't be so easy.

Cary

all the rear brakes from 70-76 are the same, the 77-78 units had the dual piston wheel cylinder, thats what i am running on my car, but I had a parts car so I pulled and blasted the backing plates and rebuilt or replaced everyting and applied them to the 240 strut housings, you also have to have the small hardline from the 280 you can bend the early style line if you must but it's not a good idea