HybridZ

Anybody have two hydraulic lifters lying around?

Thumper

Well two of my hydraulic lifters are making noise on my p90a. All the junkyards around me don't want to sell just the lifter only the whole head. Was wondering if anybody had two lifters lying around. The better the quality the better. I have tried running seafoam, tranny fluid, and removing them in soaking them in diesel fluid overnight but still ticking away. Thanks alot its really starting to get annoying.:-D

Although I don't have any lifters, I can tell you what I did when I finally had enough of the tapping. I took one hydraulic lifter and one mechanical lifter to a machine shop and I said, "I want this outer diameter (hydraulic) and this inner thread (that of the mechanical pivot) and this shape (that of the mechanical lifter boss) and... VIOLA!! no more lifter tap and I eliminated the hydraulics, thus paving the way for future upgrades, like a bigger cam (cause the hydraulics don't have enough travel for tall cams).

my .02

Can't you just use the normal p90 head lifter. From what I have read that the hydralic lifters aren't good for preformance because of the high rpms used on the lifter and might cause floating valves. It does run quieter though.

It will be hard to find a replacement for the lifter, but not as hard to find a race DOHC head for these engines (they did have them but no one can find them, they were all aftermarket like 30 years ago)

• 4 years later...

Well two of my hydraulic lifters are making noise on my p90a. ... I have tried running seafoam, tranny fluid, and removing them in soaking them in diesel fluid overnight but still ticking away. ...

i bought a junk yard head just to get the lifters. i don't know how many of them are good yet. but, see this sticky:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/50067-p90a-head-ticking-what-to-do/page__hl__cleaning%20hydraulic%20lifters

which explains that you have to disassemble each HLA, soak them in chem dip, wire brush their innards, and then reassemble them while submerged in oil, if you want the ticking to stop. i added a comment at the very end telling of my own experiences with this approach, which were extremely positive.