HybridZ

Sorta Poll : what plug gap are all you turbo guys running?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

I posted awhile ago about having some problems with high end misfire... I think lowering the gap to .035" cleaned it up.

Anyways, I went-a-searching thru the archives and found there aren't really a lot of people who mention what size gap they are running on their plugs for their turbo setups. I found a few, on top of the couple guys who replied in that other thread of mine, but would like to get more of an idea of what is 'common' as far as plug gaps go on these setups.

I'll post mine here as well...

I WAS running .050" plug gap, this was at 13psi of boost, with an MSD 6A, Blaster 2, and stock NGK's. But as mentioned, I seemed to be getting some misfire when boost would peak (spike to ~15psi), so have since lowered the gap to .035" and haven't seemed to have had the problem again.

So if you guys want to post, please include little details like boost level, what ignition mods/upgrades if any, what plugs and such.

I run my gap at .033 on a boosted set up at 13lbs, with a slightly higher compression ratio, having the 1mm HKS metal HG. I have a stock ignition with the MSD 2 blaster coil, 36lb SVO injectors.

My plugs are NGK iridiums one step colder.

I had from the stock NGK one step colder plugs a slight idle miss. The iridiums cleared that up and it idles like a charm.

Guest bastaad525

thanks for that tip... I also have a light misfire at idle that I've had from day one of the turbo swap and tried all kinds of things to fix but never tried switching to a better plug... I've always used just the stock NGK's, stock heat range.

Which NGK iridiums did you get? Is it the same designation (bpr6es -11)?

EDIT: holy crap... just looked up the Iridiums on the NGK website... $7 a pop x 6 !!!! *eyes bugging out of my head*. And they didn't have a seperate part listed for the L28ET so I'm assuming the ones for L28E work fine?

Well I never thought it would work either, and I have a freind who kept telling me upgrade to the irdiums, they are such a great plug. Well and yes they are between 6-7 dollars each, but, they are well worth it.

I have had them on my car now for 6 months and no troubles at all. Usually with the BPR7ES that I usually run, they would already be ready to be changed.

The part number for the turbo motor NGKS are BPR6EIX-11, stock number 3903, that is the stock plug, I run a BPR7EIX, stock number 4055, which is of course one step colder.

i ran BPR8es-11 in my Z gapped at .035 if i remember correctly..

ill be running some Brisk Plugs now :)

http://www.briskusa.com/products.htm#Iridium

by far the best plugs on the market, little pricey, but ive seen them with my own eyes at the dyno give a turbo honda 21 more wheel hp and 18lbs of torque.

seen 6 other cars all from Mach 1, SR20 240sx, and etc, and all got more power to the wheels using a brisk plug over the other brands like NGK-R and etc.

and not one other thing was changed besides the plugs.

mike

Guest bastaad525

EZ-E - heh maybe that's another part of my problem... I've had these NGK's in there for at LEAST a year, though it's been a very low mileage year. I have to look thru my log book and see how many miles they have on them... I know last I looked at them to regap them, they did look about ready to be replaced. Well... I may just go for those iridiums, if only in the hopes of possibly, FINALLY getting rid of my idle/low load misfire... that'd be so nice.

Guess I'll stick with the 'small' gap and I'll try a one step colder heat range as well. Only reason I haven't gone one step colder is since my car does run kind of rich I'm worried they wont burn off the excess and will get fouled.

i ran BPR8es-11 in my Z gapped at .035 if i remember correctly..

ill be running some Brisk Plugs now :)

http://www.briskusa.com/products.htm#Iridium

by far the best plugs on the market' date=' little pricey, but ive seen them with my own eyes at the dyno give a turbo honda 21 more wheel hp and 18lbs of torque.

seen 6 other cars all from Mach 1, SR20 240sx, and etc, and all got more power to the wheels using a brisk plug over the other brands like NGK-R and etc.

and not one other thing was changed besides the plugs.

mike[/quote']

Hrm, I sense my own dyno test coming on.

Guest bastaad525
do it!! you will be amazied!

mike

Agreed... Drax, guinea pig for us! I don't think there'd be one guy here who WOULDN"T want to know that a product like this actually does boost performance, tested and proven.

I guess I'm the short guy of the bunch running .025" at 30psi. I've considered going tighter as I occasionally get a slight misfire up top. I haven't decided if its plugs or something else tho. I'm running an SDS Em4-6F system with MSD coil packs instead of the SDS ones. I've talked to several other turbo guys (not Z's) running them at around .020" You just have to be careful as they can foul up easier at this setting due to tighter clearances (when idling the car rich for long perods of time...atleast on leaded gas)

Guest bastaad525

guys don't forget to give other details about your setups when you post. For instance I see some of you (TimZ, randy 77zt, loose_screws) are running average-to-small gaps on stock NGK's, but am left wondering what boost level you're running that you choose to have the gap so small. At the least try to remember to post what boost level you were running and maybe mention if you set that gap because you were getting misfire or you just started off at that gap.

guys don't forget to give other details about your setups when you post. For instance I see some of you (TimZ, randy 77zt, loose_screws) are running average-to-small gaps on stock NGK's, but am left wondering what boost level you're running that you choose to have the gap so small. At the least try to remember to post what boost level you were running and maybe mention if you set that gap because you were getting misfire or you just started off at that gap.

Sorry - 24psi on 94 octane pump gas.

TEC-II EFI system rev limiter at 7200rpm

ported and polished N42, 7.5:1 cr

stroked to 3.0 litres

I don't have misfire problems at this (0.030") gap, so I don't see much point in trying to widen it - not much to gain and a lot to lose.