HybridZ

Anybody ever replaced a Turbo compressor wheel?

Garrett76Zt

I was going to say that, and suggest that it might be cheaper in the long end to just get yourself a new center section, its all new and its balanced, and isnt to hard to install either.

Just a suggestion, if its viable for you>

Every Freakin' DAY!

But I think you are referring to Automotive Turbocharger Compressor Wheels, and not Turbocompressor Wheels...

Automotive stuff really isn't user servicable, a new center section is CHEAP compared to if the thing is imbalanced and rubs and trashed your inlet housing!

I should post some crash photos. I got big stuff that went "boom"...

Tony D,

If you're going to be that pedantic, garrett didn't say Turbocompressor wheel, he said turbo compressor wheel: obviously a truncated (short-hand) form for turbocharger compressor wheel.

Garrett,

You can replace the wheel yourself just fine, but as SleeperZ says, you will need to get the assembly professionally balanced. Seems a waste to replace the entire cartridge just for the compressor wheel, but I'm not sure on prices.

Dave

Pendantic is my middle name.

Fact being "getting it balanced" after your field fix will cost just as much as a cartridge assembly completely done. Custom turbo balancing isn't readily available, but mass-produced cartridges are readily available CHEAPLY, considering a core value.

Sometimes below $200!

For that price, it doesn't make sense to do the replacement and hunt up the balancing.

But then again, anything I say won't sway the movement of the sun either way...