HybridZ

V8's and T56's to go

Guest Daddyrick

Guest Daddyrick

In my search for an LS1 and t56 combo, I came across this site. http://www.hpsalvage.com/

They are located near San Antonio, TX. Prices

range from $3500 for an LT1 with the T56 and complete engine accessories and wiring with computer, to $4900 to $5200 for an LS1 and T56 and all the trimmings. I contacted Mike Knell of JTR and so far, he has no info on doing a swap with the LS1. I am glad that I am doing this project, for one thing all the people have been great and the info from HybridZ members has been invaluable. Thanks

Guest Locutus

I looked at HP Salvage when I was searching for my T-56. At the time he had a waiting list at least 6 months long. I have heard good things about them but never did any business with them, I happened to stumble upon a T-56 for 650 and snapped it up in a heart beat.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Where is everyone finding these t-56's? are you all calling junk yards or what? I really want to put one in my car, but can't afford much more then a grand for one. Any input would be really appreciated. Thanks

sean

Guest Anonymous

You just have to have perserverance and luck. I found my 94 T-56 for $400 from a guy who had connections to the local chevrolet dealer which had pulled it for an inner shifter boot recall. I had to put all the clutch parts back in it, which was also about 400 bucks by the time it was done.

Beware, there are also lots of broken T56's out there at swap meets also. Make sure it works before you buy it.

------------------

Tony

1972 240Z w/ZZ430/T56/GTO body kit

Guest Anonymous

I'd hold out. I ran across them too, but $5k seems like a lot for that combo. Watch the local classifieds. You'd be surprised how often LT-1 / LS-1's come up. I lucked out and found a guy locally that had a 95 Corvette LT-1 with a T-56. I got it for $1250. Yes, for the pair.

Guest Locutus

I live in Houston so this may not be as effective for you guys in the smaller cities, but I went to a couple of junk yards and asked around and none of them had one, finally one guy offered to "put it out on the wire", with in minutes I had about 10 locations that had T-56's of all year ranges

I called on them asked a few pertenant questions and finally settled on one from a guy who sold import parts, but happened upon this one cause his wife totaled her 97 camaro and he parted it out, he let me steal it for 650 bucks. One thing I did was pull every number off the transmission and I called the dealer to verify what I was getting, in a yard that wants you money will gladly help you identify and verify what they have. If not be leary.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

So basically, if I can get a hold of some junk yard numbers, and give them a call is the best deal. I have some friends down in Houston, and Dallas, so I'll get some numbers. If anyone has any numbers of yards down there and would be willing to give them to me, I would appreciate it. Thanks everyone.

Sean

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

This is off topic (mostly), but do any of you guys remember the days when the salvage yard "network" was a party line that all the yards in an area would have on the hook? They'd just say the part description over and over and over again until they either gave up or someone chimed in that they had one? The more sophisticated yards would have one guy doin just this job and they stuck him in an office.

"78 Camaro alternator. 78 Camaro alternator. 78 Camaro alternator..........."

Nah, he's not old. I'm a young 'un and I remember those days. Saddes thing is when I drive past that old junkyard and it's a mall now! I wish there was a nice big easily accessible junkyard nearby....

P.S. Shipping a T56 costs a ton, try to find one locally (ahem).

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys, anyone heard about avoiding the T-56 tranny that comes out of an LS1.

What I've heard from friends in other hotrod circles is that the LS1 verison only fits the LS1 motor. Different bolt pattern. All the others T-56's (LT1, Viper) will work with any SBC combo.

Something to think about.

For what it's worth, there have been a few LS1 bottom ends for sale on e-bay....one guy in Michigan (going by the tag 'Michiganmotors') and another on MO (who's name I don't remember.......)so if you are willing to build up your own the blocks are available. Heads are there too..T56 tranny's, on the otherhand, seem to be scarce on e-bay, and I'd hesitate to buy one sight unseen for exactly the reason everyone is posting here..there are bolt pattern differences depending on the source.

The best solution is to find a mated pair from a local yard.

In my conversations with HP Salvage, they seem to be able to get ahold of whatever you need - for a steep price - but you get the ENTIRE package: engine, computer, accessories, wiring harness, etc - all which make a bolt in possible. In my salvage yard searches in Chicago, I can find a block...or maybe a tranny, but nothing as complete as what HP offers....and I think that is where he may have a lock in a niche market. $5800 bucks is alot for an engine/tranny combo - but in the end it may be worth the price as you don't have to piecemeal a drivetrain and engine management system for your project....

...And good luck getting a yard to guarantee your motor past 30 days! .....In my example, these are going to be the last parts I purchase/install due to any warranty clicking away at the time of purchase ...

Guest JAMIE T

Hi, I'm new to this board, I don't yet have a Z but am searching for one in VA area to convert to a V8, I agree with davyz and lone about the LS1 bit, If you want a FI chevy, go with an LT1, they are far cheaper and still have alum. heads and a roller cam, right now in my local paper there is an LT1 with the computer and harness w/19,000 miles for $1800 bucks and the T56 for $1500 same mileage, I plan on installing my Vortech supercharged 302 in a Zcar, but have built everything from drag race Oldsmobiles(don"t laugh, it went 11ohs at 126 1/4 mile on dot tires through mufflers no NOS) current car is a 88 stang conv.w/ above mentioned motor, has gone 10.90s on drag radials, it has a very long list of very expensive parts. I know potental of LT1 because my wife drives a 94 6spd Z28 daily. I am a fabricater by trade, I hope to be of some help on this site. Thanks PS maybe my wife will total hers

[This message has been edited by JAMIE T (edited January 23, 2001).]