HybridZ

LS1 JTR header guys, What for seal?

How did you guy's seal the headers to the block and how did you seal the collector to the flange?

I used the stock steel exhaust gaskets between the headers and the heads, but used a regular exhaust gasket on the collector flange. The collector flange leaks really bad. The Sanderson instructions for the header to head part use black permatex, but no instructions were included for the collector. I called JTR and they said it was a gasketless design but after I got off the phone I realized he was talking about the header to head.

OK, so what did you guys do?

I believe the best gasket to use between the cylinder head and the header is the stock LS1 tri-metal gasket (three layers of metal).

For the collector, the copper gaskets are the best. Sanderson carries these gaskets, as well as Summit Racing. It also helps to use a 3/8" thick flange on the head pipe.

I believe the best gasket to use between the cylinder head and the header is the stock LS1 tri-metal gasket (three layers of metal).

For the collector' date=' the copper gaskets are the best. Sanderson carries these gaskets, as well as Summit Racing. It also helps to use a 3/8" thick flange on the head pipe.[/quote']

Yep. This is what is now on my car after having the collector gasket blow out. No more problems.

Thanks guy's. The stock header gasket is working fine just like yours, but I'm changing over to the copper gaskets for the collector right away and ditching the disposable ones that last an hour. I dont want to have to remove the bolts off of that thing again any time soon. They are hard to reach.

• 3 months later...
dale & dave, did you both use the black permatex & factory stainless steel sandwich gasket when mounting the sanderson/jtr headers to the head? still need to source the copper gaskets for the collectors.

Nope, just use the stock gasket (forget about the permatex). Just like Mike said, the gasket can be used over and over again. :-D The copper collector gaskets are available from Jegs.