HybridZ

Auto Climate Control

Guest robncry

Could definitly use some help here. I have a 280ZX non turbo with the stupid auto climate control system. My air works fine but when i turn on the heat the system quits working then when i turn it back to cold it comes back on. Any suggestions???

• 1 year later...

I have what sounds to be the same exact problem on my 83 zxt. I got my hands on the 83 zx shop manual and traced the problem back to (what the manual calls the "Heater Cock". I believe the term that is more readily used is "Heater Control Unit". It is vacuum operated and located under the dash, on the passenger side, near the center console. It controls the coolant coming from the engine compartment to the heater core. I managed to remove the one on my car and found that it was completely corroded. I have one on order and will let you know if this fixes the problem.

There has been a lot of discussion on the subject. I have a similar problem and although I have not tried to fix it yet, I was able to find direction from searching Hybrid and reading the fsm. There are several vac. operated switches that are normally the culprit. They are located under the dash and are not easy to get to but can be replaced. The fsm explains what each one does and how to test them. Good luck!

By the system quits do you mean the blower motor stops working? If so it's probably not the heater cock, there is a temp. switch in the heater line under the hood attached to the engine on the pass. side that senses if the water temp. is high enough to run the blower motor, this is so you don't blow cold air when first starting the car up on a cold day. It's a brass "T" fitting with two wires connected, disconnect and jumper the two wires together and see if that's the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

This is an update on my 82 zxt auto climate control issues. The air conditioning system would work spastically and blow cold air but I had no heat. When I moved the control to the heat side, the blower fan would not operate. So, I finally bit the bullet and removed the dash. Not really a fun job but a few hours of careful and tedious work does the trick. This car has 70k original miles on the clock and has been garaged for most of it's life so I wasn't suppressed to find all the vacuum lines really good, soft condition and I couldn't detect any vacuum leaks whatsoever. Then I disconnected and reconnected all electrical connectors and manually worked all the vacuum controls and levers to make sure they were operating freely. After restarting the engine and warming it up, I now have both heat and air conditioning. I wish all repairs went this smoothly. Now, if it would only put itself back together.