HybridZ

P65 EFI intake manifold

NZeder

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now... about increasing that secondary bore size to 48-50mm with that dinky primary...

All the parts exist, but is the body capable of taking that bore. That is what we all REALLY want: that dinky primary body for 85% of our driving. Do you guys realize how big a cam you could run and still get a decent MAP signal because of the small incremental changes from that primary barrel? Tuning would be a snap and the fuel economy would be FAR better than the same setup with a 60 or 65mm throttlebody, simply due to the resolution you get at partial throttle.

It's why I've eyed these for some time. I want the smallest primary body, with the largest secondary possible. For a turbo car this would really be ideal! For a heavily cammed car it would be even better...

Anybody remember the Dodge Thermoquads with the miniscule primary bores and then twin 2"+ secondaries? I put that intake and carb on a Dart with a 318 and got BETTER gas mileage than with the original 2bbl (which had FAR larger primary barrels!) Same forces are work... You want resolution for 85% of the driving you do. The rest of the time you want least restriction to flow possible. These dinky primaries do it...we just need a bigger secondary for when the WOT urge arises.

I STILL cannot get over the idea of an SU manifold with an EFI flange on it (or injector bungs added) and then two of these puppies, with the skinny primaries feeding into a long intake tract inside a plenum, and the big throats opening to the middle of the plenum. The plenum could look similar to the SU air filter box, with the long tract wrapping around the outer perimeter before opening into the main plenum.

Dual-length intake tract, anyone???

I STILL cannot get over the idea of an SU manifold with an EFI flange on it (or injector bungs added) and then two of these puppies, with the skinny primaries feeding into a long intake tract inside a plenum, and the big throats opening to the middle of the plenum. The plenum could look similar to the SU air filter box, with the long tract wrapping around the outer perimeter before opening into the main plenum.

Dual-length intake tract, anyone???

because of the shape of the NAPS manifold TB mouth you're gonna find a significant need for a pair of giant-ass billet adapter plates in order to make a smooth transition onto the SU flange...

The amount of fabbing involved would make it a bit of a hassle. I like the idea but you might be better off finding a smaller twin TB off of a little 4cyl korean-mobile... i've seen a few like that at the junkyard. That way you can pick one that matches the dimensions of the SU flange and just retap the manifold...

incidentally the stock 50mm TB fits on there very snuggly once you retap the SU manifold... an alternative approach might be to use those and install a non-linear throttle device to whereever your cable meets your linkages.. effectively just an accentric cam shape instead of a circle. It would be very simple to make one to whatever shape you want with a hunk of aluminium, a dremel and a bit of spare time.

-pete

*edit* upon rereading I may have misinterpeted your description... with fabbing of custom plenum you could of course throw anything you wanted onto it!

because of the shape of the NAPS manifold TB mouth you're gonna find a significant need for a pair of giant-ass billet adapter plates in order to make a smooth transition onto the SU flange...

The amount of fabbing involved would make it a bit of a hassle. I like the idea but you might be better off finding a smaller twin TB off of a little 4cyl korean-mobile... i've seen a few like that at the junkyard. That way you can pick one that matches the dimensions of the SU flange and just retap the manifold...

incidentally the stock 50mm TB fits on there very snuggly once you retap the SU manifold... an alternative approach might be to use those and install a non-linear throttle device to whereever your cable meets your linkages.. effectively just an accentric cam shape instead of a circle. It would be very simple to make one to whatever shape you want with a hunk of aluminium, a dremel and a bit of spare time.

-pete

*edit* upon rereading I may have misinterpeted your description... with fabbing of custom plenum you could of course throw anything you wanted onto it!

All of your points are still very valid.

To be brutally honest, I was thinking of using TB flanges from stock L28 plenums. They all have the egg-shaped hole, even though we have round bore throttle bodies... but it is definitely an item that needs to be addressed. Your comment certainly drove home the reality that there is a stark difference, so thanks for that.

• 5 months later...